• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Interviewing my replacement

yooperchick

Registered Member
I recently resigned my position and my boss is having me interview candidates first and then she interviews them. It is so weird and difficult.

The first auction I had on eBay didn't sell, but the words I wrote in it (about wanting to spend more time with my son) resonated. I like my job and the money - I missed my son. So, I resigned.

Seeing all these people wanting MY job is difficult. Now I'm wondering if I'm crazy for resigning!

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
What kind of job was it? I can understand wanting to be with your son, I quit working when my girls were born, and didn't go back until they were in school full time....now I couldn't imagine not having work to go to 4 days a week!

yooperchick

Registered Member
I work at a bookkeeping firm. I have 20+ clients with varied bookkeeping needs. We exclusively use QuickBooks software. Need a bookkeeper? :lol:

I make decent money for the UP. However, I started for 2.00/hr cheaper than what these candidates have been asking for! Given the type of work I do, I can't really go job hunting and just give 2 weeks notice. So, I've given a month and a half of full time and one month of part-time notice. Now I'm hoping I find a job from 8am to noon 4 days a week while my son is at pre-school. Then, find some work-at-home jobs that I can do after my son goes to bed.

nani1987

Registered Member
wow that is gotta be hard but just think you may be able to do it at home at your terms and money..... look into going to business for yourself..........you can be sort of freelance.........I use to do bookeeping and that can be stressful I remember now I have trouble keeping numbers straight....... but I don't miss the work just miss the people I use to work with... I had several jobs but it was fun I miss it so ebay is where I am at...........lol at home with my family and still can talk to my friends....nani

yooperchick

Registered Member
The place where my husband works would like me to do their books and he is making an office where I'll have a key and I can do the books whenever I want. I'm pretty happy about that, but it will only be about 3 hours a week.

I think next month, after I go part-time, I am going to do a lot of homework in accounting. Then, maybe I'll feel better about doing freelance work and charging more an hour.

Thanks for the support angelspeak and nani! It means a lot!

iggyshotthebear

Registered Member
Alot of smaller businesses need part-time book keepers... You might consider placing an ad in the paper for your services. Around here, South Louisiana, there are TONS of ads for parttime book keepers needed. Alot of the ads state "Set your own hours". Granted, they may not pay as much as you make now per hour. But, for nice hours, and more time with children, I'm sure it would be considered a raise :)

Good luck with your search!

nani1987

Registered Member
iggy is right..........I seen alot of jobs here posted in california............just the same you will have the time for more family and set your own hrs.........nani

yooperchick

Registered Member
Well. A development. My boss just informed me that she is considering making my replacement sign a "non-compete" agreement. So, they can't work for her, learn stuff, then leave and start their own bookkeeping business in the area. I never signed one. Either did the woman who worked there before me. The woman who worked there before me is doing her own freelance work.

I can see my boss's point (don't want people to come in the door than just leave and start their own business), but at the same time, what are we supposed to do? We have experience in bookkeeping.

It just seems selfish, I guess. There are many businesses that can use bookkeepers. I know off hand that some will not use her services because she is too expensive. Why not have an option to have a cheaper one? There are only so many clients that one person can handle to do everyday bookkeeping.

My husband says I should do what I want. But, I've always been very loyal to employers and respect their wishes. Ugh...work ethic dillemas....

Oh, and I'm sure most bookkeepers make more than I do at present!