• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Internet gaming binge

Gwiz

Registered Member
Did anyone here about a guy in China who went on an internet gaming binge for 3 straight days and in he end, he dies. I couldnt believe it when I first read about and I didnt realize it such a big problem. I think its just too crazy. There's a fine line between fantasy and reality and people out there take it way too serious.

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
yea the guy was from china. A couple of years ago a guy from china died the same way, and also in an internet cafe. I guess they are extremely popular over there.

The problem is that people get into these online games and honestly you don't realize how much time has gone by. I played an online game for years and I used to look forward to the weekend when I could play longer. I never stayed up for three days straight but I do remember all nighters and looking out the window thinking "gosh I can't believe its morning already" but then I just slept during the day. Even back then when I was playing you would hear stuff on the news about people falling over dead from playing online games and stuff for to long. It's just exhaustion, one must sleep :tired: I've actually been tempted this last week to get back into that game because they came out with a new release that was supposed to be really really cool. I have had to tell myself that I don't need it LOL I just can't do it anymore. I didn't have a child back then, and I know how much time it takes away from your life. My friends can be very convincing though and there is a 14 day free trial......hmmmm :shake: I am tempted to go in and just take a looksy around and see how things have changed, but I just know better. If I go in I will be talked into staying and then have to break myself from the game once again :-/ so far though I have held them off with a firm NO! :cool:

Anyways my point is that people just don't realize how many hours they are sitting in one spot and not moving or sleeping or eating. That is just a recipe for disaster. when you play these games with other people from other time zones, it's hard to break away when a hunting party is just getting started when it's your bedtime. LOL so you say "well ok how long could it take" well 10 hours later it feels like you had just started. :shocked:

It's sad that things like that happen.

Psyco

Food Whore
yes, I've heard all about "this one guy from" China/Japan/korea/etc. How these people can play for days straight is beyond me. I don't have the patience for that.

Gaming is a serious part of their society, which might explain for their crazy days-on-end gaming sprees.

Personally, I'll play a ridiculously amount of a game any time. But then again, i tend to put work and studying off til the last minute... But, i always break to eat, shower, sleep, etc. So does my roommate, who is usually playing WoW during most of his free time.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to say that if there was a game addicting enough, I could probably play for days straight. I stay away from online MMORPG''s though for that very reason though.

I'm a casual gamer for the most part. I play mostly FPS PC titles such as Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Battlefield 2142, etc. The reason I like these types of games is because it's easy to hop in and out when I have time. With MMORPG's it's easy to hop in but not nearly as easy to hop out. :)

I heard about these people too. They are almost always Asian for some reason. Asians do tend to be a lot better at games in general so maybe it's because they play them so often? I don't know, but I do know that all of the insane videos online featuring videogames being mastered beyond belief are always of Asian kids.

For example, I dare you to find anybody in the US who could even think about being this "good" at a game like this.. Seems to be basically Guitar Hero with about 10 buttons. Insane...

YouTube - asian arcade

dDave

V.I.P.
apparently a lot of people die while playing their computers. For some odd reason you always hear about this with the Japanese and Koreans or just Asians alltogether, their games must be really good over there. I definitely would not want to go down in history as the guy who died while playing the computer. That is an amazing video, but we can all guess that he is better than even most Asians at that game. I cant even move my arms that fast, and he does it with precise precision, it is almost sad to be that good at a game. Take note that these kinds of games are not in the US I can't think of anybody who could do that that fast.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
I just find it crazy, no matter how good a game is surely theres that voice in your head that says 'I'm hungry' or 'feed me' or 'As a living organism it is necessary for me to convert food into energy'. Atleast they went doing what they loved I guess....

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Yeah, but it's still no reason for someone to play video games to the point of death. It's pretty horrible. Now he'll never play another game again. Think of all the new generations he's going to miss.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well hey, maybe the game was "To Die For..." Ok sorry that was kind of mean, but seriously, how little self control do you have to have in order to literally NOT be able to stop playing?

And how awesome would a game have to be in order to keep you playing until you died? One way or the other, something is causing these people to play just a bit too much. Worse thing is if they would keep some water nearby and take occasional breaks for food... (a novel thought I know), they wouldn't be dropping like flies.

I'll admit I've had my moments of either playing a game for a LONG time, or working on something on the computer for endless hours at a time. That never stopped me from eating, drinking, and taking time to get up and walk around for a bit.

If my kid was in his room (I'll leave out "her" because I'm pretty sure no girl has ever died from too many videogames) for days on end.. let alone ONE full 24 hour time playing World of Warcraft, I'd be putting a stop to that pretty quickly.

I mean, what do you say at somebody's funeral if they died from sitting for an extended period of time without food and water... while playing Evercrack.. I mean... seriously..

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
You'd say sorry for not being a good enough friend that after the 60th hour you didnt go get him a burger and a glass of water.

dDave

V.I.P.
All that I have to say is that you are way too addicted to video games if you can play them for that long.