Internet Explorer 8 (help)

Discussion in 'Ideas & Support' started by ysabel, Jul 10, 2009.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Anyone else who has this?I just downloaded it (well, it was an upgrade my computer asked me to do haha) and now GF looks a bit different for me. The main forum/thread menus don't have their drop down selection. The top of the screen is also cut (although I don't care about it since it doesn't affect my browsing).How do I adjust the settings?oh and and please, no solutions like: dl firefox/chrome/etc.Merci.
    ------
    Ack! And it readjusts my formatting too? It won't allow me to make paragraphs.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

damn... there goes my solution :hah:

You could try the drop down "Tools" menu. usually there are check boxes for perks like AutoFormatting and things such as that inside the Tools Menu. I'd give that a whirl and see if your solution is there.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

No drop down for tools menu either. :lol:The only drop down that works for me is the moderation drop down on the bottom right (ha, at least I can still do that).Oh and I'm almost sure that even if I put several spaces on this post, it will look like one paragraph.
    ------
    When I rep someone, my page changes into a new page with just the rep screen (instead of drop down rep choices).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  4. icegoat63

hmmm sounds like that'd be a Tool menu thing regarding pop ups. But I'm no expert. I'm almost tempted to DL IE8 just for the lulz.

Well what happens if you click the tools menu? I mean it has to give you something for tools?

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

It showed me "add a poll", "subscribe to thread" etc. Not the mod tools though.

Anyway, I "fixed" my problem by removing IE8 from my computer. :lol:
    I found out I cannot even watch youtube and other sites with videos.

And a delayed investigation of the IE8 (that is, after I downloaded it) shows that it's a common IE8 bug. So those thinking of doing it....DON'T DOWNLOAD it until they fix the bugs.

6. icegoat63

oh maybe I misunderstood you... I was referrign to the tool option up on the main bar... you know like "File..... Edit.... View... Tools" :hah: not necesssarily the tools here at GF.

7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Haha, yeah it gave me Internet Options that I played with a lot (check uncheck) but still, it didn't change anything. The most help I've had is removing IE8 from my computer. Somehow the strict settings are still there but I get to choose websites now to go around the issues in appearance.

8. icegoat63

well shoot yeah I dunno, I just gave up on Internet Exploder a while back. Seriously though... you should just cave... get Firefox :hah:

9. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

That's probably because alot of sites aren't coded to be compatible with IE8, yet. Just wait till the official IE8 comes out, and more and more sites will be compatible. I imagine once brix gets the vbulletin update, it'll have fixes for IE8.

10. icegoat63

That's another good point, I know the website that I have to use for my summer courses at school (blackboard.com) isnt compatable with IE8... the instructor flat out told us, "I dunno what to tell you, just download Chrome or Mozilla" :hah: