Internet Explorer 7 Pros and Cons (IE7)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Mirage, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I've been using IE7 for a few days now (I still use FireFox primarily) and have a few comments on it so far.

Some pros I have found are:

Tabbed browsing - an obvious must in this multitasking day and age..

Better "Crashing" handling - I've noticed that when IE crashes and needs to close, it doesn't close every IE window I have open (ok so I don't use tabs exclusively ;)) but my remaining windows are left open. This is really nice.

Better look graphically - I can tell IE7 will be stock with Vista. It has that crisp Web 2.0 feel to it.

Some cons I have found are:

Crashes more often than IE6 - I have noticed IE crashes a lot more often than it did before I upgraded.. This is probably due to being in BETA still and hopefully will not remain a reason to not use it.

Slower page loading - Again, I don't know what changed in the backend, but it takes at least a second of loading before my homepage comes up when I open IE. I use Google as my homepage and it opens lightning fast in FireFox and IE6. I doubt this is just an issue on my end.

Confusing button and controls layout - Nobody once complained about the location of the refresh button.. Why would they move it? I don't know. Even worse, why would unlocking the toolbars NOT let me move the buttons around? I don't know.. but that makes me mad.

No built in support for plugins or skins - Come on Microsoft.. This is one of FireFox's biggest draws. Give us easy skinning!

-----

So, if you are considering upgrading to IE7, I certainly guarantee that you give it a try. Don't take my word for it, but at least keep my thoughts in mind when you run across similar issues.

I am NOT impressed with IE7 overall, and right now the only reason I have it is to make sure my websites are cross browser compatible.

So, will I use IE7 or continue using FireFox? Well, considering I can't think of a list of cons for FireFox, I'll stick with it for now. IE still has a long way to go before it will get my vote.

Anyone else have any thoughts on IE7? Feel free to share. :)

2. Spinlock

Spinlock Registered Member

I don't like how opening a new tab opens your homepage rather than blipping the cursor to the address bar. I open new tabs to open new pages, not my home page.

3. myessence

myessence Registered Member

I suggest continue the Firefox, because free for virus, and IE to easy invected virus.

4. jayadev

jayadev Registered Member

Though IE7 is out, but I will suggest either Firefox or Opera for having a better, safer and easier browsing experience. There are so many add-ons in Firefox/ Opera that you will like to use them more and more. In Opera they have added RSS Feed support with a notification and also support for e-mail client is also there.

5. hemisync

hemisync Registered Member

My only problem with the tabs in IE7, is the fact that I cannot get to them easily. I like how easy it is to get all my work sites in a row tabbed. But I can't use ctrl/tab to get around and just hate being reliant on the mouse

6. nahoj

nahoj New Member

:cool: hi....
    can i use the third party of the operating system windows xp service pack 2,then i need to upgrade my internet explore 6 to 7

7. trick_r_treat

trick_r_treat New Member

Thank you for sharing this information on IE7, I have not yet tried it and was wondering about the pros and cons of it.

8. Penguin

Penguin Registered Member

Well, I'd heard there were things about IE7 that weren't great. Thanks for letting us know what they are. I, too, am a diehard Firefox fan.

Have you noticed many parsing differences between IE6 and IE7? I check my websites in IE6 but I'd really rather not have to install IE7 yet if I can avoid it. Does IE7 seem to show sites the same as IE6 (other than the slowness)?

9. jzan

jzan New Member

Thanks for the info on IE7. I use it, and apart from tabbed browsing, its like a step back from IE6
    MY advice: just use the new firefox, with ie tab option, for those sites that only use IE.

10. reviewer

reviewer Registered Member

I am a Firefox user as I love tabbed browsing. I still prefer it to IE7 - I hate the way favorites work under IE 7, the interface is bad.