Internet bullies.

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by snowflake, Jan 20, 2009.

1. snowflake

snowflake Registered Member

2. Stab-o-Matic5000

Stab-o-Matic5000 Cutting Edge in Murder

There shouldn't be any laws against it. I can't believe anyone would ever suggest that someone should be prosecuted over something like this.

It's so easy to ignore someone who's bullying you over the internet, it's not even funny.

3. snowflake

Easy to ignore unless it happens to you or one of your family/close friends !

4. Stab-o-Matic5000

You misinterpreted what I was saying. What I was saying is practically every internet service has an ignore/block function, or it's simply easy to not read an email or something that this bully has sent to you.

There's also another level to this, most people can't be driven to suicide by harassment. There had to have been other things going on in this girls life, or she had to have been suffering from clinical depression in order to have killed herself over this.

5. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

In a forum setting, it's pretty hard to ignore bullying. Especially if you like the forum. You can put the person on your ignore list, but they always find ways to harass you.

In this case however, it's a little more than online bullying. This woman pretended to be someone completely and crushed her soul. That's clear cut fraud leading to man slaughter right there.

6. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

He meant the person "bullying" you. Numerous ways of avoiding it, such as setting up block lists, only letting friends leave comments in your myspace/LJ/what-have-you, and so on.

Setting up laws for it would be a little difficult to regulate in my opinion. First of all, people in other countries won't be affected due to lack of said law. I doubt every government in the world would go along with it, and I believe there would be a shitstorm should someone be extradited.

Second, where do you decide what is bullying and what isn't? Full-blown harrasment or one-time comments like "yiff in hell, furfag"? Put it too low, and it could be abused.

Finally, in the case of the...well, case, how can you prove that it was the bullying that got her into that state of mind? Answer, you can't. Just like the Columbine incident, there must have been deeper issues at hand. I highly doubt someone healthy mentaly would immediately start harbouring thoughts of suicide.
    ------
    I don't really see how, short of rep. If the forum is set up right, a person can be blocked from sending IMs and you won't be able to see any posts. As for e-mail, you can set up block or spam lists, and through post...well, why the hell are you posting your personal information online?

Also, mods should be able to take steps towards stopping it. If they're willing is another matter completely, but that will vary from forum to forum.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  7. Stab-o-Matic5000

I'm aware of this particular situation. She is guilty of fraud. However, that does not mean that online bullying should be illegal. Fraud is already illegal.

8. snowflake

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Registered Member

even if they did know there was one, it doesnt matter...it only takes one post, or comment, or whatever to seriously insult or hurt someone.

the hard thing is with internet chatting etc. is that its very hard to know someone's personality in that respect...it could even happen inadvertantly

10. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

The 'net has something called "freedom of speech" (unless you're in China). This means you can say pretty much whatever you want, which also means you will also get assholes. The trick is to not let it get to you and ignore it, because it's just words on a screen.

If we go with that every time, we'll end up with a PC Internet, where everybody is pussyfooting around issues in case they upset someone. Not exactly ideal.

Once again, spam and block lists for e-mails.

And that is their fault, not the fault of the person on the other end of the connection. They should take a look around their forums more and get used to the services available.