• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Internet Addiction Disorder

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is a pretty interesting article covering the subject of Internet Addiction Disorder. The author claims this is a growing epidemic that has even spawned drug addiction style recovery programs.

This dark side of the Internet is costing young people their jobs and social lives

Would you say you are addicted to the Internet or could you live without it without going through serious withdrawal?

What do you think is the long term solution for this issue as it continues to affect more and more millennials?

thealigator

Registered Member
As sad as it is to admit I know I do. I remember wanting to try an experiment for one month just using a bog standard mobile phone - no internet. No Facebook. Nothing. But in reality I know I would fail in the same way that when I tried to leave Facebook for a week and failed after two days. It is like a drug addiction in my honest opinion and one that could potentially cripple future generations.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
If they want the French strikes to have a really BIG and quick impact, compared to the current train/plane strikes and fuel shortage, they should try cutting everyone's internet for a day...heck even just for a few minutes! #OMGnoWifi #endoftheworld
This was my FB status the other day. Internet is a big part of our lives now and the systems we have in place (making sites available on mobile, smart phones doing what used to be reserved for computers and TV at homes, making everything digital - books, shopping, banking, etc) are just meant to immerse us more in this world. When you're "addicted" - you still feel normal because everyone around you seem to behave that way.

I don't know about solutions but definitely if you have an addiction that negatively affects your life, it shouldn't be rewarded. But right now, the more people are online, the more they are productive, informed, etc. Haha

When I went to Cuba, I reduced internet use a lot because it was expensive and you have to go to specific public parks to get connection. But it helps to have tons of other activities available so you don't really miss internet a lot (I did miss google for quick questions in the middle of conversations). We have to be more interesting and interested while being disconnected.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I’m definitely addicted to the internet. Have been for a very long time. Does it have an effect on my lifestyle, definitely not. The only problem that it causes is that even when I’m my friends, I’m constantly on my phone using social media.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I use the internet a lot but I don't think its a problem for me. I think it is helpful if you can keep it in perspective. If I have other things to do I get them done or if I have company I don't constantly run in here to see what is going on.

I don't see how someone sits and plays video games all day. I like pinball but after an hour at the very most I'm tired of playing. Most of the time its probably less than a half hour.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I use the internet a lot but I don't think its a problem for me. I think it is helpful if you can keep it in perspective. If I have other things to do I get them done or if I have company I don't constantly run in here to see what is going on.

I don't see how someone sits and plays video games all day. I like pinball but after an hour at the very most I'm tired of playing. Most of the time its probably less than a half hour.
I remember when we had arcade, I could spend hours playing a game. Sometimes it's to try to beat a score and sometimes, the game is really just long.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
I won't lie: I know for certain that I'm addicted to Internet. I can take a break of several hours without using it but I'd go insane if I knew I couldn't get it for an extended period of time.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I watched a documentary a while ago which was set in China, and looked at some of the internet-rehab centres they have there for young and teenage boys. The biggest problem seemed to be gaming for them, which was no surprise. It was an interesting watch.

As for me, I spend way too much time on it but I'm not addicted. Recently our internet died and we had to get a new ISP, the whole process took about 4 weeks where we had no internet, and I was fine during that period. I still had mobile data but used it fleetingly, just to check e-mails and the like, but I was actually surprised how much I didn't miss it.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I remember when we had arcade, I could spend hours playing a game. Sometimes it's to try to beat a score and sometimes, the game is really just long.
I loved arcade but I sure couldn't, I would have to go do something else.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
..hm..I wouldn't say internet is an addiction in the era that we're living.
It's like saying "Are you addicted to your car...?"
You simply can't do without it anymore.

Internet is a lifestyle nowadays and as such, addiction is out of place. That's how I see it.
To me, addiction is a problem when you use something so much, even when you don't really need it. In our case though, internet is something we HAVE TO use because it is necessary for the process of our life. Things have changed compared to the past and internet is a 'MUST'.

A solution? Hardly any. I wouldn't even bother finding one because it would change the rhythm of our life for worse now.