• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Interested in beading

mamab

Registered Member
I'd love to learn but don't know where to start. Suggestions? Thanks in advance. :)

Nanner

Registered Member
I do it and taught myself. Just pick up one or two books at your local craft store (or online) Just fairly cheap magazines and phamplets show you quite a bit about how to get started.

What are you thinking about making? Jewelry? Purses? Other things?

One suggestion is to find a kit to buy for your first project. That would show you step by step how to do at least one thing and then you can take it from there.

Or yeah....Google works too :nod:

Melos

Registered Member
What kind of beading do you want to do? Jewelry making or beading clothing or something? I used to really be into bead loom weaving bracelets and necklaces.

mamab

Registered Member
I'd love to do some Native American bracelets. I just can't get the loom thing (bought one at WallyWorld really cheap) but can't figure it out. I've also been told that you can bead cross stitch patterns. Some of the ones I have would be awesome beaded!

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've made some surfer style "twine" bracelets in the past. They fell apart eventually though but it was pretty cool how I made them. Basically tying a bunch of knots one after the other. :)

Melos

Registered Member
The bead looms are not that hard to do really. All you have to do is string some beading thread the long way and then thread your beading needle, put on your whole first row of beads, squish them up between the first long strings, and then put the needle back through the beads on the top side of the long strings.

mamab

Registered Member
I guess I have a coordination challenge. :lol: I just can't seem to get the beads to go where I want them to! Of course, it's no wonder. Every time I try to sit down and work on it, my kids come and bounce on the couch! :rolleyes:

Nanner

Registered Member
I guess I have a coordination challenge. :lol: I just can't seem to get the beads to go where I want them to! Of course, it's no wonder. Every time I try to sit down and work on it, my kids come and bounce on the couch! :rolleyes:

Well yeah there is that problem too :nod: Or various offers of "help". That's why you do it late at night when the kiddo's are asleep and then you end up going to bed at 4 am for days on end. Of course being a mad woman by day 5 from lack of sleep. Fun the things you can make by the time insane hits.

mamab

Registered Member
Well yeah there is that problem too :nod: Or various offers of "help". That's why you do it late at night when the kiddo's are asleep and then you end up going to bed at 4 am for days on end. Of course being a mad woman by day 5 from lack of sleep. Fun the things you can make by the time insane hits.
:lol: I haven't tried that approach yet! I think my husband would probably spike my tea with some sleep aid before I got that far. ;) But, you do have a point, I guess I should wait until the boys are in bed. Thanks for reminding me. :nod: