• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Intel Creates new quad core chip!

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I heard about this about a month ago. Aren't they going to replace the dual-core with it in home processors?

The quad-core is supposably better than even AMD's current top chip and is expected to pull Intel ahead.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's not a huge deal for AMD fans though, because it's inevitable that AMD will have one soon enough anyway. Most people don't buy new PC's based on a new chip coming out unless they've been waiting for it for a while.

For example, I won't build a new PC for at least another year and a half, if not longer. I'm sure by then there will be a comparable or superior AMD option. :)

Albey

Registered Member
I already got a decent computer, and laptop for that matter, 64bit laptop rules :p. ne ways, i learned that intel's quad isn't realy a full quad, its two duals with some building in the middle. Still faster than a dual though, so good for them.

Yes, I also agree that amd will soon have a better chip in a while. I think intel focused all their energy on that quad just to get "reconized" again.

Thermal

Registered Member
The Intel's Core 2 Duo has already shot AMD out of the water. AMD isn't bringing out any new processors until the middle of next year (unless they get their head out of the sand and pull something together.). AMD's 4x4 (dual processing the X2) is their technology their placing against the Kentfield (not going to be as fast).

Personally for me, I hold no loyality to a processor maker. I buy what is best for my money, and right now its the Core 2 Duo (E6600).

Albey

Registered Member
I have to stick with amd actually. I seem to have more faith in them then pentium any day.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
But can Intel's processors run cooler than AMD's processors? I personally like AMD for that reason. When Intel starts to produce less heat while the processor is working, then I may switch.

Thermal

Registered Member
Actually, the Core 2 Duo runs extremely cool for the speed. In fact, while not recommended, some people have ran it without a heat sink and found the chip to run at about 30C and stable. The Core 2 Duo runs at about 1.8GHz-2.7GHz, which means it's a lot cooler than the P4 D which were running at 4Ghz. So I guess I'll just have to buy a heater this winter.

Last edited: