Instigator Rule

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am the only one that hates this stupid role. I don't see how someone should get an extra minor for dropping the gloves because he's protecting his teammate. I think it's one of the dumbest rules in the NHL and they should drop it from the rule book.

Thoughts?

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I completely agree, its by far one of the most chicken shit rules in the nhl.

I don't even know why they bother calling it "the instigator rule" instead of calling it what it really is: The Anti-Brawl rule or my favorite: The Broadstreet Banhammer. :hah:

The saddest part about it in my opinion is that the fans love brawls. I can almost promise that the top 3 things googled when it comes to hockey is "Hockey fights", "hockey brawls", and "shootout goals". People wanna see a bench clearer once in a while, just think how much of a boost the senators vs the sabres brawl gave the following couple weeks in ticket sales. Or on top of that, I'll promise you the next sabres / senators game was sold out..... All by people hoping for a repeat.

The instigator rule is just one more of Buttmans steps to creating a "family friendly" game. Heh.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I totally agree with you, and the Sabres/Sens example was a great one. Like you said hockey fans love to see brawls. But I think the instigator rule is so stupid because your dropping the gloves instantly when your teammate gets laid a dirty hit on him, dropping the gloves is part of the game and you shouldn't get an extra penalty or even given the boot if your jumping in to protect your teammate.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Now dont get me wrong I realize the other side of it is "well we're trying to keep from unfair 1 on 2 fights".

But then thats what your team is for... the players will govern themselves simple as that. I mean check this out, I'm sure you guys remember Tootoo destroying Robidas (3rd man in) after he lit up Modano with a legal hit :hah:

YouTube - Tootoo vs Robidas one punch

The players will govern themselves... lol Do you think Modano got the instigator penalty for hacking Tootoo over the back of the head with his stick after Tootoo dropped Robidas? Or even better do you think Robidas got the instigator after Tootoo legally hit Modano.... None of 'em did.

In fact if I recall right the only one that was punished for that was Jordin Tootoo... personally I think thats flat out BS and only shows the leagues disregard and lack of care for its "tough guys".

ps... thats one of my favorite Hockey moments probably all time.... Robidas sooo got what he had coming to him there.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I totally agree with you that players can take care of themselves. Hockey is usually played five on five and it's really rare to have a fight while there's a 5-4 on the ice. So it's always going to be fair no matter what.

I remember that Tootoo incident very clear, and once again I totally agree with you, Tootoo was in the right in my opinion. Don't see anything wrong in that play.