• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Insecticides found in honey

Carmelita

Registered Member
Neonicotinoid pesticides are turning up all around the world in honey. The reason that they switched to neonicotinoid pesticides is that is works on the nervous system and is not harmful to humans. This being said, the effects on the bee population seems be increasing. Our pollinators are decreasing in number and many blame the neonicotinoids for much of it. A global research effort collecting 198 samples from around the world found that there are over 50% of the world's honey contains these pesticides. This is just a total shame.

Interis

Registered Member
That's a shame, but do we really have a better solution at this point? The farmers need the pesticides to meet the demand for the produce. It also takes a lot of time to come up with a safer compound. We end up having to choose the lesser of two evils.

I also wonder if the good elements in honey can negate the side effect of the pesticides.

Sophia

Registered Member
This is terrible. We need the bees for pollination of almost everything. I remember as a kid, living on a farm, there were honey bees everywhere. Going barefoot was a challenge, less you step on a bee. When are folks going to wise up and get back to "all natural?"

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Considering how much pesticides are used I'm really not surprised about this. What can be done about it who knows because if you stop with the pesticides crop yield will go down, maybe a lot, and prices will go up.

Interis

Registered Member
This is terrible. We need the bees for pollination of almost everything. I remember as a kid, living on a farm, there were honey bees everywhere. Going barefoot was a challenge, less you step on a bee. When are folks going to wise up and get back to "all natural?"
One point of view is exactly like what @Hilander said. Another question to raise is why the crops can't survive on their own if we don't use pesticides at all. If the animals become aggressive, what is the cause? Are they running out of living space? Is there too much pollution?

Our problems nowadays just can't be solved in one hit. That's why it's hard to actually get anything solved.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Same here. They would be all over the clover.

We still have bee's here which is why I try not to spray unless I have to. Never spray anything that is blooming. I would hate to see them disappear because like you said we need them.

Probably not just pesticides that kill them. Wouldn't want to get herbicides on me either.

New Monsanto Emails Raise Questions On Safety Of RoundUp Products

Other things have been known to kill off bees.

Bee colony collapse associated with viral, fungal infection, biologist says

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
One point of view is exactly like what @Hilander said. Another question to raise is why the crops can't survive on their own if we don't use pesticides at all. If the animals become aggressive, what is the cause? Are they running out of living space? Is there too much pollution?

Our problems nowadays just can't be solved in one hit. That's why it's hard to actually get anything solved.
They would survive without pesticides and herbicides but they wouldn't produce near as much.