Injured. question about union and work.

Discussion in 'Advice Board' started by kmone, Jul 14, 2009.

1. kmone

kmone Registered Member

i severely sprained my ankle last sunday on a boat. went to the ER and they said it might be 3-5 days till i can walk. so i called into Krogers were i work and and told the what happened. im also in the union. they said i would need a doctors release to come back to work so i schedualed another appointment on wensday at 11. well he called me today on tuesday and said they i would be off the scheduale for the next 3 weeks. said he had to make the scheduales today and had to be in by tomarow at noon...says hes on vacation next week so he has to have 3 weeks of scheduales made. i am not happy about this because i only plannd on being out for 5 - 7 days.

what can i do about this? will the union help me out? would i be able to get paid for being out of work for 3 weeks?? plzzz help!

2. kmone

kmone Registered Member

and also my ankle is preety bad its been 2 days and i still cant put any pressure on it and its swollen badly. so i cant walk at all and im on my feet all day at work

3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Why would you need a doctor's excuse to go back to work? It doesn't sound like you weren't working at the time of the accident, were you? It's not like you're making a worker's comp claim, right? That seems very odd to me.

Who told you this, Kroger, or your union? I would go to your union and look into this, or schedule an appointment with another doctor to get released. It's not like you got hurt on the job and you have to go to their doctor, go to whoever you want.

4. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm not familiar with your Union, but the only way I know of where you can get paid for not working is when you start dipping into your own 401k, the unions hate it when you do that though. But I know of a few of our guys who did just that, they'd talk to their rep and schedule a set amount of days where they would take out of their 401k funds.

How long have you been in this union? if its only been a while I'd imagine they wont help you out with that. If you have been in there a while, I'm sure your employer has made a significant impact on that 401k so you should have enough to sustain you for a week or so without really draining it.

heh, sounds to me like you'd better capitalize on the time off. A sprained ankle is no fun... and if you're work relies on you being on your feet. You'd better use the time to properly heal up.

thats strictly Workmans Comp related. Krogers would be an idiot to let him come back to work without the doctors note. Basically what happens is, the doctors note shows that the Ankle sprain occurred not during business hours and on business land.

Therefore if he tried to make a workmans comp claim on it... Krogers can later shoot it down saying it was not a work related or sustained injury. Its all just paper pushing and paper trail stuff, we have to do it here all the time with our employees.

if you sustain an injury on your own time, you have to get a doctors note for us to file it that way later when you come back saying "oh my back hurts from climbing this ladder" we can say "no it hurts because you got in a quad wreck last weekend" :hah:

5. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Ah, gotcha. I thought they would only require one if he DID injure himself at work, but yeah, I can see the reason why any employer would require one.