• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Indianapolis Colts, Manning, next years draft, etc

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
This is a very interesting scenario, to be honest, since when the Pack drafted Rodgers, they knew Favre was a year or two from "retiring". That may not be considered the case for the Colts with Manning. However, they need a solid backup QB, and Luck can bring that... but Luck is not a backup QB, he is a destined starter. It would be unfair for him to be drafted #1 to be a backup.

In all honestly, I see them either taking Luck and making him sit for a year or two, or they take Luck and trade him for some picks and/or players.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
The difference is Rodgers wasn't the #1 overall pick and thus was being paid a ton of money, and thus expected to start.

I don't see Indy drafting Luck, paying him millions of dollars to sit, and paying Manning millions of dollars to play. I understand if you have guys like say Kerry Collins or Matt Hasselbeck as your starting QB, I don't see it here.

I think they're going to go with one of those guys and find a more suitable backup for either one.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Well there is a rookie wage roof set up, so we won't be seeing 40 million buck deals going around anywhere. The max is 20 mil.

Another option is taking RG3 first overall, since he can be adjusted a bit more to be a backup. Or just take a defensive player...

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
The fact there's a rookie wage scale really helps out the Colts here. They could carry both of them if they wanted too.

I don't know what they are going to do though. People are going to want that pick and could offer a nice package to move up.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
They have to go with Luck. He's the best player available in the draft and the Colts need to cut Manning. He's owed to much money and he's getting older and he's coming off a serious neck injury. Luck has all the tools to be a star Quarterback in this league, and I don't believe he'll be a bust.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I still think it's a tough call here. Sure he's owed a ton of money but he's also Peyton freaking Manning we're talking about.

Luck might be a huge prospect but he's NOT a sure thing.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Definitely a tough call... I'd like to see them cut or trade him. It'd be interesting to see him play for another team & see how much he could help them. The Cards would be a great spot for him... Manning to Fitz? Dangerous. Ha.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I doubt any team would trade for him, for two reasons; he's owed a lot of money, and teams know that there's a big chance that he'll get cut, so they'll be able to sign him for cheaper if that happens.

Luck is definitely not a sure thing, but when you get compared to the likes of John Elway, and the team that is picking needs a new franchise Quarterback since theirs will retire soon, you can't skip on the opportunity.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Well there is a rookie wage roof set up, so we won't be seeing 40 million buck deals going around anywhere. The max is 20 mil.

Another option is taking RG3 first overall, since he can be adjusted a bit more to be a backup. Or just take a defensive player...
True, that's a good point. With the rookie wage scale the possibility of the Colts drafting Luck and having him sit behind Manning increases. I still don't see it though. Manning is owed a lot of money and is expected to start, and I doubt he'll be happy about being a mentor to his replacement.

I agree with BR as well, I don't see anyone trading for Manning and taking on his contract, especially with his injury. The Colts will just release him sometime before March.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I agree with BR as well, I don't see anyone trading for Manning and taking on his contract, especially with his injury. The Colts will just release him sometime before March.
I just don't see that. The Colts will not release Peyton unless he is healthy. To release an unhealthy, injured player is one of the greatest insults ever, I presume... and is unfair to the player. Chances are that the two of them can renegotiate the deal for the sake of the team. It makes no sense to dump Peyton before even seeing how he can do... oh wait... is he taking snaps in practice? Yes. He is making serious progress if he is taking snaps already.

I doubt they will cut Manning, but drafting Luck is unfair to Luck because he could easily start right away.