• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Indianapolis Colts, Manning, next years draft, etc

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Okay I got a lot to bring up in this thread...

Should Peyton Manning get MVP votes this year? I mean look at this team...they are absolutely atrocious but if Manning is there I bet they have a winning record. I cannot believe one player would have this huge of an impact on one team. Football is a team sport but everything the Colts are goes through Peyton Manning. Unreal how much he means to them. I mean look at the Patriots when Brady went down...Matt Cassel, who isn't very good, comes in there and leads them to a nice 10-6 record. Manning makes the players around him that much better; its shocking, really.

So are the Colts worse this year or is it just because Manning is out?

What do the Colts do next year if they have the first pick? Do they take Andrew Luck? If St Louis is #1, would the Colts trade up to get Luck?

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
No. Manning has not played, and the MVP award is always given to an active player. The award will not go to him.

I believe the fall of the Colts is defined by two reasons:

1) Manning is out. No QB in the league (sorry Tom) can do what he does with the football. Losing him is the equivalent of the 49ers losing Montana or Young or the Broncos losing Elway.

2) The Defense has become porous. An offense can only do as much as their D can protect. Their D has been atrocious. How they win games if they behind by a large number of touchdowns very early?

If they have the first pick, I suggest they go the way of defense, but they will probably choose Luck, because I do not see Manning playing after two or three years.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes, I do believe Manning deserves a few MVP votes, and I truly believe at least one writer will give him a vote. Let's be honest here, the Colts suck and in a way they're the ones that shot themselves in the foot. They had no plan in case Manning went down, he didn't miss any games in his career so they didn't dare to draft a QB like the Packers did with Brett Favre. Now it's coming back to bite them in the ass. It's their own fault they are winless this season because of the poor planning on their end.

If they get the first selection they have to go with Luck, it would be dumb on there part if they didn't. If the Rams do get the first pick then I would try to trade the pick to the Colts or the Dolphins who will probably end up in the top three. Luck is the real deal and even though he wouldn't start right away in Indy(that's if Manning comes back) who better to learn then from Peyton? It took a few years for Rodgers to play and now he's arguably the best quarterback in the NFL.

Luck is the biggest prospect since John Elway which says a lot.

Last edited:

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
KSF, keep in mind I asked if he would receive some votes, not that he'd win the award outright. I don't think anybody would believe he'd win it but if someone voted for him I wouldn't call them crazy.

The rumor out there now is that Manning would try and force the Colts NOT to take Luck if they have the #1 pick. I don't necessarily believe that though.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
KSF, keep in mind I asked if he would receive some votes, not that he'd win the award outright. I don't think anybody would believe he'd win it but if someone voted for him I wouldn't call them crazy.
I mean it still. I would call them crazy if they voted for Manning. Even one person. Hell, Rodgers or Brady might win unanimously the way those teams are playing.

The rumor out there now is that Manning would try and force the Colts NOT to take Luck if they have the #1 pick. I don't necessarily believe that though.
I don't believe that one bit. Manning is a confident guy, and this injury can be recovered from... but it takes time. He will be back next season and probably better than the last year or two. Taking Luck would a waste of Luck's talent, anyway. Luck has performed better than Rodgers did in college, and for him to wait anywhere from 2 to 5 years to play in the NFL would be ridiculous. He is a Sam Bradford, Cam Newton type QB who can start day one.

That is why the Colts should not take him.

And I just don't understand why people can't just look at how god awful their D is.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I don't think he should receive a single vote. It's for the most valuable player & he hasn't played.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
There's not doubt how much he means to the team, but I have to think part of it is psychological too. The media has been saying the Colts are nothing without Manning every single week. As a backup QB, that has got to be extremely discouraging.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Now that they gotten the worst record in the NFL the talks can begin...

Do they pick Luck? What happens with Manning?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I think Manning is due like $28 mil in March if he's still on the roster, I just don't see it happening. I think the Colts are going to cut him and draft Luck #1. I just don't see the Colts taking the chance with this kind of injury with a player at this age and the amount of money he is due.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
I, seriously, think they are going to pick up a Quaterback. I don't know if it will be Luck or not, but they have to move past the Manning era, he's getting a little older. If Luck could swallow his pride and play under Manning's tutelage a little bit, you might see an emergence like Rodgers.

I haven't followed the story line all that much though, I know Manning's father said the two couldn't co-exist together, but what does Archie know?! :p
------
Drop Manning? If nothing else he's great trade bait why would they drop him. Just make the other team pay the end of his contract.

Last edited: