Indianapolis bakery refuses to serve LGBT students

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Jeanie, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Cupcakes, eh? This is what is going to destroy the family? Let 'em live in the stone age.

But on the other hand it is their business, they do have the right to turn away customers even though it is a bit ridiculous.

3. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

While I believe it is their right to run their business (into the ground) as they see fit, it seems quite stupid to alienate a good portion of potential and existing customers and create a shitstorm of bad PR. I wonder how long they will stay in business.

4. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

The mayor of Indy is going to revoke the guy's permit. You should be allowed to sell to whoever you want to within the law. The guy has 2 daughters, he doesn't want to promote a destructive lifestyle. Geez - the gay community is acting like he's turning dogs loose on them 'Gay Cupcake Party' Coming In Indianapolis In Response To Bakery's LGBT Discrimination

If you think guns are bad, you shouldn't have to sell cupcakes to the NRA parade. Or the stripper parade if you think that's demeans women. Or abortion parade if you think that's murder. Everyone seems to get this except the gay community.

5. Jeanie

what do you mean by "destructive lifestyle"?

6. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I agree with this. I mean if I walked in there and said "I want cupcakes with the Mexican flag on them because I'm celebrating Cinco de Mayo" and they said they don't do that I would just go somewhere else. I think it's bad business but hey, they have a right to refuse work if they wish.

7. Jeanie

Yes it's terrible business, but my point is more that it's a real shame that attitudes like this persist, especially at a time when kids are committing suicide left and right because of anti-gay bullying.

8. CaptainObvious

I agree with you wholeheartedly. It is a shame people still have attitudes like this. Unfortunately you're always going to find people who think like this.

Jeanie likes this.
  9. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

Destructive lifestlye? Being gay is a destructive lifestyle?

10. CaptainObvious

Rethinking this, I think this may be more than just bad business. If you take my example and the bakery had made cupcakes or something for Black History Month or to celebrate the Chinese New Year for some Chinese students AND refused to make some for Cinco De Mayo, then I would have a problem with it.

This may be a case of more than just bad business and may be a case of discrimination. If they cater to some groups while discriminating against others then I do have a problem with it and it may be illegal, or at least I would lean towards revoking his permit if what MIT said is true. I guess I would have to know more before making that judgment.