India rocked by terrorist attacks

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Gunmen have opened fire at a number of sites in the Indian city of Mumbai (Bombay), killing at least 80 people and injuring about 200 more.

Police said shooting was continuing and that the incidents were co-ordinated terrorist attacks. Gunmen have taken hostages at two hotels and a hospital. At least seven sites have been targeted across India's financial capital. A fire is sweeping through the Taj Mahal Palace, Mumbai's most famous hotel which is now ringed by troops.

The BBC's Andrew Whitehead says a claim of responsibility by a little-known group, Deccan Mujahideen, may harden suspicions that Islamic radicals are involved.

But there are other possible culprits, our correspondent says.
The motive is far from clear - but the attacks come amid elections in several Indian states, including in disputed Kashmir.

In the latest developments:
  • Commandos have surrounded two hotels, the Taj Mahal Palace and the Oberoi, where gunmen are reported to be holding dozens of hostages, including foreigners
  • Police say an explosion heard inside the Oberoi was from a hand grenade, and flames and a massive plume of smoke are billowing from the Taj Mahal hotel
  • The head of Mumbai's anti-terrorism unit and two other senior officers are among those killed, according to local TV
  • A witness told local television that the gunmen were looking for people with British or US passports
  • The US and the UK have both condemned the attacks and Washington says it is "assessing the hostage situation"
Gunmen opened fire at about 2300 local time at sites in southern Mumbai including a train station, two five-star hotels, a hospital and a restaurant popular with tourists.

Police said the gunmen had fired indiscriminately.

"The terrorists have used automatic weapons and in some places grenades have been lobbed," said AN Roy, police commissioner of Maharashtra state.

At least 10 people were killed at the main station Chhatrapati Shivaji railway station, they said. Some gunmen were still holed up in buildings that had been targeted, officials said.

Mr Roy said gunmen were holding people hostage at the Taj Mahal Palace and Oberoi hotels.

Local TV images showed blood-splattered streets, bodies being taken into ambulances and dramatic shots of what appeared to fresh blasts inside the Taj Mahal hotel.
One eyewitness told the BBC he had seen a gunman opening fire in the Taj Mahal's lobby. He said he had seen people fall before he fled the lobby.

"All I saw was one man on foot carrying a machine gun type of weapon - which I then saw him firing from and I saw people hitting the floor, people right next to me," he said.

More about the story (link).

In the past months there has been a wave of bombings in India and Islamic militant groups and Hindu extremists have been suspected. Police have also accused the Pakistan intelligence agency (which rejected the allegation) of planning the attacks.

While the article says the gunmen were firing indiscriminately, there was a witness who said they were looking for people with UK/British passports as if they're targeting foreigners specifically from these countries.
------
Update:

A number of hostages have been freed from one of Mumbai's top hotels - one of several sites in the city targeted by armed men - eyewitnesses said.
But the situation at the Taj Mahal Palace hotel remains confused, with explosions and gunfire heard coming from inside the hotel.

The death toll is now at 100 + with more than 300 injured.

After reading this and Thailand...I just hope the region becomes more stable soon because I would be going there next month.

Last edited:

Bjarki

Registered Member
:urp:

It's sickening, truly sickening. It's hard not to hate when people commit such awful and unnecessary atrocities.

Bananas

Endangered Species
I hope that those being held hostage are released unharmed soon.

It still astonishes me to what people(if you can call them that) believe they wil achieve by doing such atrocities. It really is a baffling concept.

If it hasn't already been said I think it's a mix of Hindu and Islamic extremists but I've read some source that are positive it's some Indian terror group and not necessarily al-Qaeda.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
this will only make the right nuts more vicious for the war on terror
Would it be wrong to want to stop this though? I think everybody wants to stop things like this.

I hope this can be resolved quickly. A lot of the companies that outsource customer service and programming jobs to India work with people in this region. India is the 3rd best country in the world for IT based work because of companies and people living in this region. It's sad to see people committing such heinous acts, especially in an area that has really done well for itself joining the modern world of business.

Xeilo

Registered Member
V.I.P.
The Indian commandos seem to be doing a good job so far of clearing the terrorist out, so hopefully it shouldn't too long and no more people get harmed.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
It has been reported that 93 hostages were released from the hotel today, and I hope that some of that included Australian people.

Xeilo

Registered Member
V.I.P.
It has been reported that 93 hostages were released from the hotel today, and I hope that some of that included Australian people.
On the news they were saying that 2 Aussies have been confirmed dead and 25 are still missing, I didn't catch how many others there are that are fine.