Hockey Increase Scoring

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Ever since someone opened their mouth about low scoring in the league over something as silly as the net not being big enough it's been the discussion. Making the nets bigger should be on the bottom of the list... right after "Making the puck the size of a golf ball..."

Now what should the league really work on first? I would say rule changes.

1: Make the Neutral zone 2-4 smaller. If the blueline goes back 2 feet, the net and goal line move out from the boards 2 feet

2: You can only ice the puck once you get outside the blue line.

3: A goal will only stop a power play after 1 minute has been served. Score first 55 seconds... powerplay continues until another goal OR time expires.

4: Any embellishment will either be 4 minutes OR cancel out the other players penatly and be just 2 minutes.

Second?

Streamlining goaltender equipment. Chest protector, shoulder pads, pants, blocker... All call use a couple inches shaved off here or there. Things like chest protector and shoulder pads need to stop being a tissue box on goalies. If one goalie is 6'1" and 165lb and another goalie at 6'3" and 210lb... they shouldn't be the same size thanks to equipment. Talent should make the goalies... not oversized equipment!

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hate the fact that putting the nets bigger is even discussion. It's so damn silly.

I do think that more form-fitting goalie pads should be a priority first and foremost

Crypticshock

Registered Member
The goals per game is going down... on top of that look at players points. No one touched a 100 points last year. ...and well, they have been talking about goalie equipment for last 5 years or more. Their equipment is out of control. Worse that a Lacrosse goaltenders chest protector.

Here: https://twitter.com/Crypticshock/status/664223923991617536 How big do they have to go?

Rontzeeez

Registered Member
I'm guessing the fact that the goalies are playing like gods doesn't come into factor. They will always find ways to increase scoring, but the games are still pretty exciting. 10-8 looks stupid compared to 3-2 or 1-0 wins.
enlarge nets blah blah blah stupidities
if anything, keep powerplays a full 2 minutes
that my point of view

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I think the scores in hockey are fine. That's what makes hockey exciting, a one goal lead is tense and exciting and suspenseful. I'd be bored if hockey was like basketball with scores in the 100's

NewGamePlus

Registered Member
Here we go again...... you click reply.... and get no choice but the ENITRE....... FRIKKIN....... POST.......... NO DELETIONS FOR YOU!!!!!!... oh well whatever. Is there any chance in hell people will be annoyed enough to change this or are people going to go "Yes, yes siree... that's what he meant to post, because everyone wants to see the WHOLE SAME THING REPEATED EVERY SINGLE TIME EVEN THOUGH IT WAS JUST STATED OBVIOUSLY UP THERE ON THE PAGE ALREADY..."... waste everyone's time.

Be stupid if it was just my web browser...

Ever since someone opened their mouth about low scoring in the league over something as silly as the net not being big enough it's been the discussion. Making the nets bigger should be on the bottom of the list... right after "Making the puck the size of a golf ball..."

Now what should the league really work on first? I would say rule changes.

1: Make the Neutral zone 2-4 smaller. If the blueline goes back 2 feet, the net and goal line move out from the boards 2 feet

2: You can only ice the puck once you get outside the blue line.

3: A goal will only stop a power play after 1 minute has been served. Score first 55 seconds... powerplay continues until another goal OR time expires.

4: Any embellishment will either be 4 minutes OR cancel out the other players penatly and be just 2 minutes.

Second?

Streamlining goaltender equipment. Chest protector, shoulder pads, pants, blocker... All call use a couple inches shaved off here or there. Things like chest protector and shoulder pads need to stop being a tissue box on goalies. If one goalie is 6'1" and 165lb and another goalie at 6'3" and 210lb... they shouldn't be the same size thanks to equipment. Talent should make the goalies... not oversized equipment!
Ok, so, the only thing I like is #4. And the goalie pads. That picture of Carey Price is ridiculous. I would say that goalies should have the right to wear whatever pads they want, but if they don't meet a certain standard length and width of every section, the other team can challenge them, and if it violates it, the goalie can choose either one of 2 penalties.

1) He gets fined enough to hurt
2) The refs are allowed to relax the goaltender interference rules on him however much they feel is just for the level of non-conformity of the pads to the allowed size.

Personally, I see that shot of Carey Price and just want to beat the shit out of him. I think everybody should go pop him like a bubble or grab a bunch of pillows and swat him with it, because he looks like he belongs at a teenage girls' slumber party, not in a hockey game.

I like Hasek's size pads. Those seem standard.

Regarding #2, it's confusing. That seems to make the opposite happen. I think ice and puck and net size and everything should stay the same or it messes with the historical records since everyone else played with those sizes and dimensions of everything. You don't ever change that stuff or take it lightly.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Here we go again...... you click reply.... and get no choice but the ENITRE....... FRIKKIN....... POST.......... NO DELETIONS FOR YOU!!!!!!... oh well whatever. Is there any chance in hell people will be annoyed enough to change this or are people going to go "Yes, yes siree... that's what he meant to post, because everyone wants to see the WHOLE SAME THING REPEATED EVERY SINGLE TIME EVEN THOUGH IT WAS JUST STATED OBVIOUSLY UP THERE ON THE PAGE ALREADY..."... waste everyone's time.
If you're referring to what gets quoted, you can just highlight the text you want to quote and then hit the reply button that shows up underneath the highlighted text.