Inappropriate Relationships

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Do you believe relationships with people you have met through their jobs, and would not have met under any other circumstance, are inappropriate? Examples being; an old teacher, a doctor or nurse who has treated you in the past, or a police officer who handled a complaint you made in the past. I don't mean current working relationships.

I'm unsure on my answer. If it was current teachers or doctors, then I would find them inappropriate, but as it's past i'm undecided. It still seems a little dodgy.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I think as long as it was long enough ago, I have no problem with it (assuming the relationship was completely professional before, etc).

Bliss

Sally Twit
Not at all. So long as you are both of legal age then it's not a problem in my eyes.
If it is your doctor or someone you'd see on a regular basis then obviously you would need to stop going to see them on a professional basis.

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
Not really no.

Why should it be inappropriate?

That said, where I work I don't think I'm allowed to date clients. Not that I'd want to anyway but if I did I think it would go against company policy.

I suppose the only reason for this would be a conflict of interest. My relationship with a particular client could cloud my judgement and may well leave me biased towards a third party.

I suppose it can depend on the profession.

potterychic

Registered Member
I think it would be ok as long as they started seing another doctor, but to be in a relationship while still in school having that person teach you is kind of wrong because they may favor you and if things go bad they could give you bad grades.

Rubedo

Registered Member
Everybody is going with "Doctor" and "Teacher"...

Why has nobody suggested... Your driver's ed examiner? Or... your parole officer?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Hmmm, my fireman. :lol:

I think they only seem inappropriate when you mix business relationship with personal ones. It's not rare to be attracted to someone who you see on a professional basis, especially if the relationship between the client and provider involves genuine care for someone's well-being. The relationship will be awkward when you start crossing some lines (and one's objectivity in his professional dealing with you might be questioned because of your relationship). However, if you don't see them on a professional capacity anymore, I don't think there's a problem in trying to check out if you can work out a personal relationship after.