• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

In History: What game/event would you attend

Bosox04

Registered Member
Okay, this is a play off another post (and if this has already beens started, I apologize). In history, there are many amazing games, amazing events that help define sports as it is today.

My question is, if you had the opportunity to go back and witness ONE event in sports, what would it be?

Many would assume that I would automatically say game 7 of the 2004 ALCS, or game 4 of the 2004 World Series...or even Wrestlemania XV...

However, if I were to go back and witness one game, it would be the 2006 Rose Bowl---Texas vs USC. Probably the greatest BCS Championship game yet, and one of the best in Rose Bowl history.

What about anyone else?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is really tough since I'm a huge sports fan. There's so many games that I would love to attend. If I took the time to do this, I could easily come up with 500 different sporting events, there's so much that has happened. But I'll just post a few from the top of my head.

-Game 3 of the 1932 World Series. I want to see myself if Babe Ruth called his home run.

-The game where Babe Ruth hit his 60th home run of the season, which came in 1927.

-Game 6 of the 1993 World Series

-October 3, 1951. The shot heard around the world.

-Yankee Stadium, July 4th, 1939. Lou Gehrig farewell speech.

-Bulls vs Knicks, 1995. Jordan comesback and scores 55 points.

-Game five of the 1997 NBA Finals: Flu Game

That's all I'll say for now, I could add a lot of Hockey-Football games, but I'll come back after a few responces.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I would definitely go back to the last time the Winnipeg Blue Bombers won the Grey Cup. I've heard tales from my parents about a time when they played spectacularly, and won and junk. I would love to go back to that last grey cup they won, and watch them play spectacular CFL football. None of this piss poor shit they've been spewing on the field the last 10 years.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
May 10, 1970 - Bobby Orr's goal

March 26, 1997 - Red Wings vs. Avalanche Fight Night at the Joe

Game 4 of the 1997 Stanley Cup Finals

wolfheart

Registered Member
I would have loved a ring side seat for The Thriller in Manila, watching two of the greatest heavyweights in one hell of a fight.

The atmosphere in that arena must have been amazing, especially as the fight was back and forth.
Yep that would be the one event I would have liked to see live.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
-Game 3 of the 1932 World Series. I want to see myself if Babe Ruth called his home run.

-The game where Babe Ruth hit his 60th home run of the season, which came in 1927.

[strike]-October 3, 1951. The shot heard around the world.[/strike]

-Yankee Stadium, July 4th, 1939. Lou Gehrig farewell speech.
Or, possibly one of these golden moments:

Wrestlemania III, w/Hulk Hogan facing Andre the Giant for the first time

Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100 points in a basketball game

The final game in the Lakers' 1980s "3-peat"

The US Olympic hockey team's "Miracle on Ice"

Kirk Gibson's bizarre World Series game-winning homer

Joe Louis beating Max Schmeling

Jesse Owens beating Hitler's 'Master Race'

Jackie Robinson - any game he ever played in

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Or, possibly one of these golden moments:

Wrestlemania III, w/Hulk Hogan facing Andre the Giant for the first time

Wilt Chamberlain scoring 100 points in a basketball game

The final game in the Lakers' 1980s "3-peat"

The US Olympic hockey team's "Miracle on Ice"

Kirk Gibson's bizarre World Series game-winning homer

Joe Louis beating Max Schmeling

Jesse Owens beating Hitler's 'Master Race'

Jackie Robinson - any game he ever played in
Sorry Tuck, I had to put it in there, even though I know it pains you. I just think it's a big part of the history of the Major Leagues.

You put up some great ones, all of them would amazing to witness. I really like that you put Hitler's "Master Race" not a lot of people know the story behind Owens during that day, which is a real shame.

Witnissing the Wilt 100 point game would be remarkable, since there were only a few people that did.

When it comes to Jackie Robinson, I would love to be at his debut, just to hear what people where saying to him. The other game would be the World Series game, where he stole home and Yogi Berra thought he tagged him out.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm picking personal favorites for mine, not necessarily big moments in sports history (although one might be included):

(1) Game 5 of the 1985 NL Championship game - My favorite player of all time, Ozzie Smith, had the game-winning homer. I wish I could see that in person, I was 2 1/2 at the time lol. It's famous in St. Louis, especially for Jack Buck's classic announcing: "Go crazy, folks, go crazy!!!"

(2) The Cardinals' winning game in the 1982 World Series

(3) The Cardinals' winning game in the 2006 World Series

(4) The USA's "Miracle on Ice." Big both in sports and politics.

(5) To include a pro wrestling moment, Wrestlemania III with Hulk Hogan vs. Andre the Giant. Legendary.

(6) The St. Louis Rams' Superbowl victory in 2000 (after the 99 season)...I forget the number of the Bowl offhand.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Great thread. There are so many amazing games to choose from.

2003 Fiesta Bowl - Ohio State upsets Miami in double overtime to win the national title.

2006 Ohio State vs Michigan. #1 vs #2 for the first time in the history of the series.

2005 Ohio State vs Illinios (basketball). Illinois came into the last game of the regular season undefeated and ranked #1. Matt Sylvester's game-winning 3 ended that. YouTube - Winning shot in OSU vs. Illinois

Holy Buckeye ('02 OSU vs Purdue) - YouTube - Holy Buckeye

1997 Rose Bowl, Ohio State vs Arizona State

2009 Big East Tournament, UConn vs Syracuse, 6 overtimes. Best basketball game I've ever seen.

1997 NBA Finals, the flu game

Bosox04

Registered Member
Great thread. There are so many amazing games to choose from.

2003 Fiesta Bowl - Ohio State upsets Miami in double overtime to win the national title.
Had that ref not made a VERY questionable pass interference call, I would say this is the best BCS game yet...but with McGahee going down the way he did (and that was SICK!) and a bad call sending it to OT, I gotta say Texas/USC is still the best BCS game yet.