• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Improving flexibility

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
I keep trying to do Yoga but I'm restricted by my body's flexibility.

For starters, I cannot touch my toes, not even my ankles! How do I improve this?

I also cannot sit the way Japanese people can sit. My feet don't bend that much. Please give me some advice for gaining flexibility.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'd suggest sticking to yoga and/or pilates. Find a video or a class for beginners. Yoga improved my flexibility quite a bit when I used to do it. You just have to do the postures to the best of your ability.

laurahill

Aerobic exercise or Power yoga are helpful for improving Flexibility.Power yoga or aerobic exercise are improving the strength and flexibility of the body.

jdndfw

Registered Member
I keep trying to do Yoga but I'm restricted by my body's flexibility.

For starters, I cannot touch my toes, not even my ankles! How do I improve this?

I also cannot sit the way Japanese people can sit. My feet don't bend that much. Please give me some advice for gaining flexibility.

I really advise you to stick with the yoga. don't move too fast and if it hurts at all then you are going to far with the extensions and stretches. i was like you when I started and after 4-5 sessions I could reach down and touch the floor without bending my knees. back pain is gone, headaches and stress... gone. and yes, I finally was able to sit like the Japanese.... lol:D

jd

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
Your flexibility will improve as you carry on with the yoga. Just keep going at it. It might not feel like it while you do it, but one day you will be able to stretch as far as you need without even realising it. Yoga is great for flexibility. Just keep at it!

fractal

Thank you lovely members. I was starting to think I had some disability that prevented me from doing that.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
The more you practice it the better you'll become at your flexibility. You just need to carry on what you're doing and repeat the same exercises.

fractal

Thank you Elly. I can do the Japanese sitting a little more easily now. I think I'm making progress in general. Thank you all for your support.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Stretching works wonders. I'm not sure if a stretching session is offered where you take yoga, if so, then take that. The thing is you improve your goal bit by bit. We do lots of stretching for flexibility before our cheering sessions before. After a long period of no exercise sometimes it pains me to even reach for my ankle. With daily stretching, I manage to reach further and further, until I can reach my goals and really difficult positions, without wincing in pain.

prasman

Registered Member
I feel you because I have the same problem. I couldn't touch my toes (almost) ever since I was a kid (and you say kids are flexible). Anyways, I picked up golfing for almost 3 years now and my flexibility has improved. Not because of golfing, it's the "stretches" that I do every morning and night. You could try regular cardio/fitness workout. That works too.