• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Imperial vs Metric

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I use both.

Because of my work I get alot of Metric sets of blueprints. So on a daily basis I deal with the Metric and/or the Imperial. Government jobs tend to use the Metric while more private jobs use the Imperial. It makes no difference to me really because its just a click of a button a change of a few options and everything looks the same to me.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I never understood how farenheit is easier than celcius. 0 as freezing point makes more sense to me than whatever it works out to be in farenheit.

As for weights...I don't really care. I can use either.

Heights I prefer measurements to be imperial. I find it easier to visualise how tall a person is in feet, than I do in centimetres.
I could have made this exact same post.

So yeah, uh, that's it really :lol:

metric! mostly. USA needs to catch up. Admittedly I wouldn't want them to stop using Fahrenheit for temperature because that would just be weird.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
So today while cooking something I bought from the US, I had to make conversions and thought of this thread. Really, metric makes more sense and precise. How does 1 cup of something ever be exact if you have different cup sizes? HAHA. Well maybe in the US kitchens you have standard cup sizes for cooking but really, to say for a recipe that it takes 4 cups of water isn't as precise as saying 940ml.

Impact

V.I.P.
So today while cooking something I bought from the US, I had to make conversions and thought of this thread. Really, metric makes more sense and precise. How does 1 cup of something ever be exact if you have different cup sizes? HAHA. Well maybe in the US kitchens you have standard cup sizes for cooking but really, to say for a recipe that it takes 4 cups of water isn't as precise as saying 940ml.
It doesn't really mean cup as in...whatever mug you have in your house. It is an actual specific measurement, and measuring jugs and such come with the cup measurement on them. Back in NZ we used cups instead of litres or whatever in recipes. But then we'd use grams as well, instead of ounces

wiki said:
Metric cup
In Australia, Canada, New Zealand and South Africa and Lebanon one cup is commonly defined as 250 millilitres.
1 metric cup = 250 millilitres
= 16⅔ international tablespoons (15 mL each)
= 12½ Australian tablespoons
≈ 8.80 imperial fluid ounces
≈ 8.45 U.S. customary fluid ounces
United States customary cup
United States customary cup is defined as half a U.S. pint.
1 U.S. customary cup = 1⁄16 U.S. customary gallon
= 1⁄4 U.S. customary quart
= 1⁄2|U.S. customary pint
= 8 U.S. customary fluid ounces
= 16 U.S. customary tablespoons[nb 2]
= 236.5882365 millilitres[nb 3]
≈ 15⅔ international tablespoons
≈ 11¾ Australian tablespoons
≈ 0.833 imperial cups
≈ 8.33 imperial fluid ounces
United States "legal" cup
The cup currently used in the United States for nutrition labeling is defined in United States law as 240 mL.[1][2][3]
1 U.S. "legal" cup = 240 millilitres
= 16 international tablespoons
= 12 Australian tablespoons
≈ 8.12 U.S. customary fluid ounces
≈ 8.45 imperial fluid ounces
Imperial cup
The imperial cup, unofficially defined as half an imperial pint, is rarely found today. It may still appear on older kitchen utensils and in older recipe books.
1 imperial cup = 0.5 imperial pints
= 2 imperial gills
= 10 imperial fluid ounces
= 284 millilitres
≈ 19 international tablespoons[4][5]
≈ 14¼ Australian tablespoons[6]
≈ 1.20 U.S. customary cups
≈ 9.61 U.S. customary fluid ounces

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Yeah I figured as much that there were measuring cups for it but, wth, even the cups are different ml amounts depending on the country.