• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Imperial vs Metric

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Which is king? For you?
What do you use more?

Metric weights and measures or imperial?
Discuss the reasons for such reasoning. Do you reckon one may die out and replace the other full-time some day?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, I'm American so that'll tell you right there what I use. I won't lie I had to look up what imperial meant. I guess I'm just an ignorant American because we call it "standard measurements" here lol.

It's my Dad's fault though. He's an electrician and they use the imperial system. He literally hates the metric system so all I've been hearing my whole life is how terrible the metric system is and how the one he uses is superior. It's kind of funny.

But yeah, I use imperial too; that's all I see over here anyway. I'm pretty sure everyone else but us uses metric...that's the United States for ya.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
Actually no Millz. I don't know if all the UK uses imperial, but I do. And most people I know. --- I prefer it, mostly because imperial measurements etc are the sort I can actually sorta see...

I mean, a foot is a foot. Yeah?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Actually no Millz. I don't know if all the UK uses imperial, but I do. And most people I know. --- I prefer it, mostly because imperial measurements etc are the sort I can actually sorta see...

I mean, a foot is a foot. Yeah?
Oh you do? That's surprising to me for some reason. I guess I just assumed we were the only ones who did since that seems to be the case in a lot of things haha.

Then I read this:

The United States is the only industrialized country in the world that doesn't use the metric system as its predominant system of weights and measures. Today only the USA, Liberia and Myanmar still use the old English Imperial system. The rest of the world is metric.

I suppose that doesn't mean every single person uses metric outside of the US though. Cool to hear others use imperial as well.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I live in the States so obviously I use the imperial system. I have to admit, metric makes a lot more sense for most measurements, but I'm just used to imperial. I like Fahrenheit a lot more than Celsius for temperature though. For weather it's just better.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I'm not sure what imperial means in this context. All I know is that imperial is used to describe an empire.

As far as I'm understanding it has to do with measurements. I use the metric and I don't know what else there is besides that.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I'm not sure what imperial means in this context. All I know is that imperial is used to describe an empire.

As far as I'm understanding it has to do with measurements. I use the metric and I don't know what else there is besides that.
Imperial measurement is often used in the UK or wherever the Brit empire imposed and is close to the US customary units in the sense that both use terms like ounce, yard, feet, pound, pint, gallon, mile (although there are slight differences on the measurement itself between those two units)....

...whereas in metric system, we use terms like meter (just add prefix like centi- milli- kilo- etc.), kilograms for weight, Celsius for temperature, etc.

PS. I use metric, I find it more rational and direct and I look forward to the metrication of other countries.

Last edited:

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
I prefer the metric system. To me it makes much more sense and is much easier to use. It is based on multiples of 10 and is the universal measurement of science because of its accuracy, rather than the US standard system or Imperial system of measurement (which I think have some differences?) which from what I have learned is a cruder form of measurement, and to me seems complicated.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I remember back when they tried to force the metric system on us when I was a kid, and it never caught on. It may be more complicated, but it's just what we're used to. And like Echoes said, for temperature, it makes a lot more sense, it seems to me that Fahrenheit is far more accurate than Celsius.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Imperial measurement is often used in the UK or wherever the Brit empire imposed and is close to the US customary units in the sense that both use terms like ounce, yard, feet, pound, pint, gallon, mile (although there are slight differences on the measurement itself between those two units)....

...whereas in metric system, we use terms like meter (just add prefix like centi- milli- kilo- etc.), kilograms for weight, Celsius for temperature, etc.
Oh , now I get it!!!
It's pretty interesting that the measurements in bold are named "imperial". But I never use them.