• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Immigration Bill Killed on Senate Floor

J

j.locke777

I think this was a huge victory for the American people. After months of speaking...no...Shouting in dissent of this bill, Our senate finally listened and demonstated how the American government was intended to work. While initially passing the house, when it came up for review in the Senate, The people spoke and the bill was struck down, never to return in that form again. while inevitably elements of that bill will work their way into future immigration reform bills, the point was made clear. Americans are tired of the Buerecratic BS and we will no longer stand for this Bastardized form of American "Government." Good job american people.

CMK_Eagle

Registered Member
While the immigration bill was far from perfect, it was the closest thing to a workable reform that had a chance of passing Congress. Now, the current broken situation will remain unchanged for the forseeable future. Anyone who thinks Bush will lift a finger to increase security at the border is a fool after the conservative Republicans he needed to get the bill through turned on him. This also ensures that there will be none of the changes necessary to meet the US economy's demand for immigrant labor.

Instead, xenophobia (i.e. racism) wins the day. Good job, indeed...

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Indeed. The American people stood together united in our very partisan loathing of this compromise bill. If there's anything we can all agree on, it's that we will under no circumstances differ from our mutually exclusive ideals to get something done. Now the next step is for us to unite together to complain at the government for not getting anything done because they're too partisan. We will, none of us, rest until public opinion becomes so ironic that everyone spontaneously combusts from cognitive dissonance. God bless America.

J

j.locke777

While the immigration bill was far from perfect, it was the closest thing to a workable reform that had a chance of passing Congress. Now, the current broken situation will remain unchanged for the forseeable future. Anyone who thinks Bush will lift a finger to increase security at the border is a fool after the conservative Republicans he needed to get the bill through turned on him. This also ensures that there will be none of the changes necessary to meet the US economy's demand for immigrant labor.

Instead, xenophobia (i.e. racism) wins the day. Good job, indeed...
Well first off, We have an immigration system already in place, it just needs to be enforced. The key is to have stiffer punishments for employers who hire undocumented workers. When the Illegal Aliens realize there are no jobs for them here, it should stem to flow if illegal immigrants.
Second, How is not wanting people who break the law to be given a get out of jail free card racisim?

The vast majority of the population did not want this bill to pass. The Phone lines on capital Hill were shut down becaus of the flooding of calls to the Senators from the constituants. Thousands were against the bill while only dozens were for it. I think it is a Shining example of america's people at its best
I side with the thousands of Americans who said No, and heres why.
Every day, immigrants wait in long lines and fill out endless forms to become citizens of our great country. Then some people who decide to forget the law and come in illegally should be given amnesty and granted citizenship. You'll hear people say that most Illegals are law abiding people and not threat what so ever. I say BS. How can they be law abiding people when the broke a pretty serious law by comming to this country. They should have to stand in the long lines and fill out the endless forms like everybody else. There are laws and regulations set in place for a reason. We can not allow people to get away with breaking these laws especially when our national security is at risk.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
I think the American people let their voices be heard. The only ones against this seem to be the Mexicans and illegal aliens.

I have no issue with the fence being built. It’s the legalizing all the illegals that I have a huge issue with. I have an idea on how to control the border and build the fence.

To control the border I think the government should give huge tax cuts to land owners right along the Mexican border, and in turn the land owners would have to set up surveillance, and have the power to use lethal force to stop illegals from coming across. I have heard of armed militia type groups in Texas and Arizona who patrol the border stopping anyone who is wandering the desert and holding them at gun point until border patrol shows up. It would help to monitor a good portion of the border.

To build a fence we should take 25% of the non-violent, first time offender American prison population, and pardon them from all fines and expunge their records of all crime after their time is served, and in turn put them to work to build this wall. This would cut a lot of the cost of hiring workers and finding people willing to build. I'm sure many of these prisoners would be willing to do this in order to drop their fines and criminal record.

CMK_Eagle

Registered Member
Well first off, We have an immigration system already in place, it just needs to be enforced.
We have a broken system in place which is completely inadequate to meeting the needs of the US. When changes in society make the existing legal structures obsolete, it's the duty of the Legislature to change them. Congress has just failed in that duty.

When the Illegal Aliens realize there are no jobs for them here, it should stem to flow if illegal immigrants.
But there are jobs for them. Lots of them. In fact, there are millions more illegal workers in the US than unemployed Americans. With unemployment running around structural levels, that says that there's plenty of room in our economy for both immigrant and native labor.

Second, How is not wanting people who break the law to be given a get out of jail free card racisim?
What get out of jail free card? They were going to have to pay a $5,000 fine to get into the guest worker program. For many illegals, that's their annual salary, and it's not like they have the savings to draw from when they're often living at subsistance levels.

The vast majority of the population did not want this bill to pass.
The vast majority of the population are idiots. Just because something's popular doesn't make it right or wise.

Every day, immigrants wait in long lines and fill out endless forms to become citizens of our great country. Then some people who decide to forget the law and come in illegally should be given amnesty and granted citizenship. You'll hear people say that most Illegals are law abiding people and not threat what so ever. I say BS. How can they be law abiding people when the broke a pretty serious law by comming to this country. They should have to stand in the long lines and fill out the endless forms like everybody else. There are laws and regulations set in place for a reason.
BUT IT'S A STUPID SYSTEM!!! The US needs immigrant labor. Badly. And we need them in far greater numbers than we allow into the nation legally. That's why there are 10-12 million illegal workers in the US right now. Furthermore, the economic and fiscal impacts of immigrants, legal or illegal, are hugely positive.

I agree that the US needs to enforce it's laws, but when those laws simply don't work, it's time for them to be changed, and this was one of those times.

We can not allow people to get away with breaking these laws especially when our national security is at risk.
So now it's gone from dirty Mexicans stealing our jobs to smelly A-Rabs trying to blow us up?

I have no issue with the fence being built. It’s the legalizing all the illegals that I have a huge issue with. I have an idea on how to control the border and build the fence.
It would be absurdly expensive, and they'd just climb over it. Wonderful idea. And so consistant with America as a nation of immigrants...

To control the border I think the government should give huge tax cuts to land owners right along the Mexican border, and in turn the land owners would have to set up surveillance, and have the power to use lethal force to stop illegals from coming across.
Execution without trial for a non-violent offense. Something tells me that wouldn't stand up in court.

To build a fence we should take 25% of the non-violent, first time offender American prison population, and pardon them from all fines and expunge their records of all crime after their time is served, and in turn put them to work to build this wall.
Yes, because violent criminals are so much better to have on our streets than someone trying to pursue the American Dream...

First it was the Papist Irish, then the slant-eyed Chinamen, and now it's the dirty Mexicans and smelly A-Rabs...

R

rozzlapeed

To build a fence we should take 25% of the non-violent, first time offender American prison population, and pardon them from all fines and expunge their records of all crime after their time is served, and in turn put them to work to build this wall. This would cut a lot of the cost of hiring workers and finding people willing to build. I'm sure many of these prisoners would be willing to do this in order to drop their fines and criminal record.

Wait... you propose to grant amnesty to criminals who have already been prosecuted and convicted, but you are against granting amnesty to illegal immigrants?

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
Wait... you propose to grant amnesty to criminals who have already been prosecuted and convicted, but you are against granting amnesty to illegal immigrants?

No, I didn’t say that. I'm all for MINOR criminals... i.e. drug offences and the such having fines reduced or dropped when they are out of prison after serving their term, only if they agree to working for free on a designated area of the border wall. Time spent building the wall would not count for their time “IN” prison.

It would be absurdly expensive, and they'd just climb over it. Wonderful idea. And so consistant with
America as a nation of immigrants...

Yes LEGAL immigrants

Execution without trial for a non-violent offense. Something tells me that wouldn't stand up in court.

Never did I say we'd be required to shoot them, but if 10,000 Texan land owners along the border pointed a gun at every illegal that came across I bet people trying to cross the border illegally would drop.

Yes, because violent criminals are so much better to have on our streets than someone trying to pursue the American Dream...

If you went to China illegally would you not be locked up and thrown in prison? How are people who come to America ILLEGALLY any different? They can pursue the American dream, but need to do so legally.

Duke1985

EatsApplePieShitsFreedom
I gotta say this giant wall at the border, its too close to Escape from New York (or if you perfer LA) for me.

CMK_Eagle

Registered Member
If you went to China illegally would you not be locked up and thrown in prison? How are people who come to America ILLEGALLY any different?
So now you're using China as the standard for just punishments?

First of all, I'm not advocating that the US not enforce its laws. I'm saying that our immigration laws are outdated at best (though utterly stupid would be more accurate) and are in dire need of reform to both ensure that the US can keep track of foreign nationals residing here, and to meet the econony's demand for unskilled labor.

They can pursue the American dream, but need to do so legally.
No, they can't. We don't issue enough green cards.