• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

I'm troubled today

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
Scott and I joined a church recently. We REALLY Like it there, the preacher was great, the people were very friendly, they have a great youth group. We have been going every Wed night and Sunday (with the exception of this Sunday) but anyway, yesterday we found out that the preacher resigned because he was having a affair! Now, WHY do I feel betrayed? This bothers me really bad. I know he is human and we ALL make mistakes, but this was a HUGE mistake, especially for a preacher! I mean, he has a son the same age as kayla, just think what this is doing to his family, much less the church family. And I wonder how many people out there that were on the verge of being saved, suddenly think WOW, why should I even do this, Look what they preacher did! Guess I am just floored, I know this does happen more than we think it does........

Bunny_roses

what? no pink?
Jen,

one thing to remember is we are all human. Just because he is a preacher doesn't make him a non sinner. We all are sinners. The problem that some people have is they put preachers up on pedastals. they are appointed to lead people not be above anyone. God knows his heart and knew ahead of time what was going to happen. He did the right thing by resigning. after all you can't be in that position of authority when you have not followed authority. what happens with his family is what he is going to have to deal with. The test on the church will be how they deal with it.

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
Yeah, and people are SO judgemental, not saying what he did should be overlooked, but somestimes people are just plain mean, like they themselves do no wrong! I guess we will see tonight how some of the members are handleing it. I myself just really hated to see him go. I told Scott that I am scared of getting bored with going if the replacement they find isn't as good as he was.

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
You know, that's one of the biggest reasons I don't go to church. I'm not saying I'm a non-believer, just more of a "the world is my church" thinker.

I think Bunny summed it up nicely. I certainly hope no one holds too much of a grudge against him, it certainly isn't their place to judge. We all know the saying, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's unfortunate when things like that happen, but it just goes to show that being a preacher doesn't give you special powers to avoid things like this. He probably never expected this to happen when he first started, but it's one of those things that he will have to live with now, and face the consequences.

It's more unfortunate in this situation though, because not only does this hurt his family, it hurts all of the people who looked up to him as a role model.

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
Msbabedoll said:
Yeah, and people are SO judgemental, not saying what he did should be overlooked, but somestimes people are just plain mean, like they themselves do no wrong! I guess we will see tonight how some of the members are handleing it. I myself just really hated to see him go. I told Scott that I am scared of getting bored with going if the replacement they find isn't as good as he was.
Yes, people are judgemental. They don't think things through very well, before they start speaking.

It will be tough for the church body, but God is always there, and he never turns his back on anyone.

Msbabedoll

Registered Member
Well we went to church tonight and suprsingly nothing was said and everyone acting just like nothing had happened. Even though I still felt sad.........and I think I'm nuts for feeling like that.........Anyway, I hope the parties involved work things out and get back on the right track.....it's just a sad situation........

1_ares_1

Registered Member
I used to work at a with 3 preachers. They were all middle management. Every single one of them cheated on his wife. I know because they all ended up telling me about it to get it off there chests, or something.
Anyway, Jen, they all had one thing in common in there "confessions". They were all approached by women who looked up to them way too much. Needy women just seem to attach themselves to men whos job it is to bring comfort to life. I think a preacher is also very similar to a rock star in his congregation. He has a certain magnetism which is part of the reason people like to listen to him.
You said it yourself, "you're afraid you'll be bored with the replacement".

Roland_Jenkins

Registered Member
I'm not religious but I still have an opinion (surprise surprise surprise)
Put your faith in God, not in man.

1_ares_1

Registered Member
Roland_Jenkins said:
I'm not religious but I still have an opinion (surprise surprise surprise)
Put your faith in God, not in man.
True...when you really think about it...it's a job to some of these guys. Just a job.
Tell you the truth, I think I have more faith in me than most of the people I know who sit in church every Sunday. Alot of them are only there to meet people or make networking connections to do business with. It's like a club. There are a small percentage, I'm sure who go there to hear a message, but sadly I feel most have their own agenda. I just get real pissy on this subject because I've known too many "churchies" who acted all holy on Sunday and were cutthroats or adulterers and the type the rest of the week.
Not trying to say don't go. Just don't be fooled by the tan 2" heals and modest flowered dresses. They don't wear THAT when they aren't in chuch!

Last edited: