• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

I'm too old for TikTok

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Seriously. My daughter has it and seems to thrive as one of her main forms of social media now. I got it and just instantly felt like I was out of my league and old. I wasn't interested in what was being posted, wasn't interested in creating content, and felt out of place using it.

It's official. I'm too old for something.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have one but here’s what I noticed about the evolution of social media.

People who grew up as the Internet came to maturity learned to take part in forums and other deeper forms of communication. Learning to talk to others and get along—ahem—although that was not always the case with any age bracket, obviously, haha.

But starting with MySpace, the Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat, and now TikTok, social media has become more and more about broadcasting your own life in a way intended to make others envy you.

TikTok is all about “you” and putting yourself out there as a funny person. I’ve seen people use it for other things, but for the most part, the maturity level there is definitely high school and younger.

Granted, there was a time about 20 years ago when I couldn’t wait to play “Habbo Hotel” with random strangers on the Internet. 😂

dDave

V.I.P.
I've sort of been a hold out with various forms of social media for the last decade. I started with a Xanga account in like 2005, moved on to MySpace when everyone abandoned that, and then moved on to facebook when most people abandoned MySpace. I have not moved on from facebook yet, newer platforms just don't interest me and seem to have a very niche purpose and audience.

All kinds of new social media platforms have come out over the years. TikTok, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Reddit, Pinterest, I don't use any of them. Mostly it's because most of the people I know that use such platforms have severe maturity issues. Not a knock at all against the good people that use these platforms, they are out there. I would even venture to say most people that use these platforms are fine, I think I just know a few bad ones that put a bad taste in my mouth. The content on these platforms doesn't seem relevant to me and I'm already comfortable where I am, I don't see a need to move on to newer things at the moment. Not saying that won't ever change but I need less social media in my life, not more. Adding a new platform would be counter-productive in achieving that goal.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Seriously. My daughter has it and seems to thrive as one of her main forms of social media now. I got it and just instantly felt like I was out of my league and old. I wasn't interested in what was being posted, wasn't interested in creating content, and felt out of place using it.

It's official. I'm too old for something.

Same here. I don't use it but I make them show me every now and then what they do there or what they can see. It's been educational haha, and some tiktok stuff become so famous they are referenced in other pop culture. I get excited when I "get it" .

Reactions: Doc

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that the new-fangled social medias have passed over. I don't even get excited when I "get" something newish like the word yeet. I just don't care and don't want to change!

Konshentz

Konshentz
TikTok is basically Vine 2.0, right? Yeah, I'm too old for that shit. And I'm definitely not funny and/or creative enough for it.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
TikTok is basically Vine 2.0, right? Yeah, I'm too old for that shit. And I'm definitely not funny and/or creative enough for it.
I've had a few TikTok accounts for a year or two and haven't done much with them at all. Everytime I log in, I flash back to the feeling when I would enter some pubic video chat room back in the day. A lot of craziness going on and not a lot worth spending time on.

And I'd say in order for it to be Vine 2.0, that implies it would be better than Vine. I don't feel that it is, personally. I actually enjoyed Vine and still follow a few of them on YouTube. Zach King being one of my favorites.

Shwa

V.I.P.
I'm set myself with Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat, I can't do tik-tok personally. I'm not that savvy when it comes to the music, voice-overs and just collaborations people do, plus don't think I'm quite funny myself. But I see a lot of people making good use out of it and having a good time, so good on them. Just can't personally here partake in it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Impact

V.I.P.
I just don't get it. My younger cousins have it and post their tiktoks in our family chat and just...why? I guess this is the realisation that I am old now