• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

I'm switching back to PC, plain and simple!

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
After switching to Mac for the past few months, I can now say with certainty that they are worse than Windows based PC's. Both from a hardware and software standpoint. Here are the specs of the Mac I recently got:

Mac Pro
2.4GHZ Quad-Core Dual CPU's (8 cores)
32GB of RAM
1 TB Hard Drive
2GB nVidia Quadro 4000 CUDA Video Card
1GB ATI Radeon HD 5770 Video Card
Parallels Desktop 6 so I could supposedly run Windows 7 better than it ran on PC's...

First and foremost, the OS 10.6.6 Snow Leopard is terrible. There's no back button in folder menus, no button to go up a directory, etc. There's no taskbar. The stupid "magical orb menu" at the bottom doesn't even begin to replace the taskbar. It's nice for programs, but documents and internet windows are all grouped together, making it a huge pain to find a specific window you had open. Worst of all, Mac refuses to network with Windows. It's apparently possible but it takes a ton of configuration tweaking on both networks. Just not worth it.

Next, the mouse and cursor. It's slow, plain and simple. It also has a variable motion rate that can't be disabled. I had to purchase two third party cursor tweaking programs just to get it to about 95% familiarity to that of a PC with the cursor speed set pretty high. This was almost enough to drive me out of my mind when I first started using the Mac.

From a hardware standpoint, the possibility of double CPU's is impressive, but even so, there are still single CPU PC's that beat these specs. RAM can go up to 64GB, which beats the standard 24GB on most PC's lately. Still, it only supports slower RAM. There is no USB 3.0 support. There is no support for Blu-Ray through Apple. If you want to play modern movies on your Mac you'll be out of luck.

And to those who swear by Mac saying how they never crash, I hate to say it, but you're probably somewhat of a computer newbie who hasn't really ever done anything intense. I ran extremely intense 3D rendering and 4K video editing on this machine and managed to crash it to the point of a hard reboot several times. Yeah, if you play Facebook games and forward funny emails you might not ever experience your Mac crashing. To be fair, a PC shouldn't crash under those circumstances either. In fact, since using Windows 7, I can't remember a single time it crashed. I've managed to crash OSX 10.6.6 Snow Leopard at least 15 times in the past few months.

Mac's are better for video editing and media work? Wrong again. They have some Mac exclusive programs that are nice such as Final Draft, Color, DaVinci Resolve, etc, but when it comes to Adobe and cross platform programs, they run every bit as good on Windows as they do on Mac. 3D software is definitely better on Windows. I've now used it on both and it's a night and day difference. Mac crashed hard, PC held it's ground. Plain and simple. If you absolutely must use a Mac exclusive program, then even a Hackintosh makes more sense than actually buying a Mac.

But.. you can still run Windows on a Mac? Yeah right. Parallels Desktop 6 is terrible software. Windows is limited to 6 or 8GB of RAM. Not to mention the fact that when it's running, the whole computer slows down drastically. Even worse, when you close it, it doesn't entirely close. Part of it is left open in the system tray, and the computer runs laggy until it's manually found and closed. Ughh.

At the end of the day, I think the ONLY thing I liked better on Mac over PC was the "Spaces" concept. That's not bad at all, but it doesn't make up for the other downsides vs. PC.

I'm selling this thing and looking forward to switching back to Windows full time. I've been told I'm crazy and how this is the dream computer and configuration for many Mac users. I'm sure it is. That's not going to stop me from switching back to PC though. This Mac has got to go!

Anybody else attempted the switch and realized you made a mistake too?

dDave

V.I.P.
Well put.

Mac Pros only support up to 1333mhz DDR3.

Compare 32GB of DDR3 1066 (which is what you're running) to 24gb of DDR3 2200 (or 2000) I guarantee it'll be way faster running Windows.

I think that desktop parallels is something that is screwing Microsoft pretty badly. It's advertised to run it just as it should yet it is extremely glitchy and really doesn't run well at all. This gives people the impression that PCs are just crap.

I've seen the inside of a Mac Pro case and it's appalling to say the least. The cooling really couldn't be any worse. They added a bunch of crap in there and there is no airflow.

I feel as if a computer that expensive should at the very least have decent cooling but that's apparently too much to ask of apple, they have always favored looks over performance. (this cooling is an issue I have with all macs including macbook pros which overheat to the point of ruining the hard drive). They advertise these things to be super quiet, well I wonder why:hmm: oh yeah that's right!:duh: They would rather it overheat than be loud.

Brix I don't know if you noticed but your video card has overheated several times. When you have your screensaver running and you have the blue fuzz jumping across the screen that's due to the video card being too hot. The thing idles at 150 at least in your computer, I mean that's really bad.

I hate it when people's argument is "PCs are crap" or "Macs crash less", "Macs don't get viruses" , "Macs are better for editing". None of these are true in the slightest.

I've used many Macs and I have to say that mouse speed just kills me. I shouldn't have to pick up the mouse to the other side of the pad 3 times to get to the other side of the screen.

PCs really are superior in every way (if you get a comparable PC in specs).

Both Mac and PC are 64-bit, all of the hardware is made by the same people, the OSs are the only different thing about them now and Windows 7 is more stable and has more perks (such as blu ray support, and USB 3.0, not to mention support for all games as well as the fact that it's cheaper)

I'm still running my core 2 duo, GeForce 8800GT (512mb), and my 2gb of DDR2 RAM and am yet to have a system crash, I've had it for 5 whole years, never had a virus, never had a crash, and never had any problems. That's why I don't understand those arguments. I really haven't done anything extensive to protect my computer, I have no virus protection, never shut it down, and have only ever had to replace the video card. I'm still running my original hard drive too which apparently should have died 2 years ago, no problems yet. My computer is fairly crap as far as the specs go and yet it still runs very smoothly and quickly (even when I play games on it).

I do have to say that Apple screens are superior to all others. My dream computer setup is to run an apple screen on a super high end Windows machine.

Macs are prettier, so what?

Last edited:

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
I feel that Mac is to PC what an automatic transmission is to a manual transmission; the first has a predictable and restrictive range of operation, whereas the latter (once learned) can really be customized and tweaked using just a little finesse to fit the user's need.

I'm going to be admittedly hyperbolic and a bit facetious here when I say that Apple has developed a cult (blind brand loyalty) and that's what leads to those statements about it Macs being bullet-proof.

I've always preferred a Windows OS PC (flaws tolerated) to anything by Apple. I had a multimedia art class senior year of high school (5 years ago) and I nearly dropped it to switch out classes because I dreaded, every morning, sitting down in front of that spinning cursor when the "indefatigable" Mac crashed simply from having Photoshop open with 30 layers.

Last edited:

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Ran Macs for 15 years. Still do. Never had a single problem with them.

Run 2 gigs RAM, 160 GB HDD, 2.4 GHz duo Macbook and can run a half dozen applications and a dozen tabs with ease.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I feel that Mac is to PC what an automatic transmission is to a manual transmission; the first has a predictable and restrictive range of operation, whereas the latter (once learned) can really be customized and tweaked using just a little finesse to fit the user's need.
I agree. I'd take it a step further though. PC is to Mac what an automobile is to one of these:

If Mac was my first computer then I'm sure I wouldn't have these same qualms. It wasn't though. It's just not that great for business, especially with the networking problems and the fact that the business world is dominated by PC. Part of that I'm sure has to do with the fact that file structure and organization is much easier on a PC. On a Mac it's a pain to navigate through the files of your computer and sometimes you can't even get where you want to go without going back to the root hard drive folder.

I'm going to be admittedly hyperbolic and a bit facetious here when I say that Apple has developed a cult (blind brand loyalty) and that's what leads to those statements about it Macs being bullet-proof.
I don't see many Mac fans ever bashing Mac for any reason, so I see your point. At least Windows "fans" will bash Windows with the best of them when a buggy version is released. As the saying goes: Windows CE/ME/NT (Cement :lol:). Vista didn't help things either. Windows 7, however is incredible. It's the most stable OS I've ever used, Mac or PC oriented.

Run 2 gigs RAM, 160 GB HDD, 2.4 GHz duo Macbook and can run a half dozen applications and a dozen tabs with ease.
I imagine you started on Mac's though. The problems I have with it are probably normal things that you see as everyday normal use. I just don't like how I feel confined while using one. I can't do what I want to do because they spent too much time making the OS look pretty vs. making it as fully functional as Windows.

For example, if I have a folder open, the only way to get it is to hit the button to view all windows and then look around for it there. On Windows, I can simply click it from the taskbar. Even in a grouped taskbar it's only two quick clicks to find it. On Mac it's clicking to the "all windows" page, then looking through about 30 to 40 windows. (Yes, I like to multitask like nobody's business, which could be another reason I prefer Windows, since I can have 100 things open and still be able to find any one thing in just a few clicks.)

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.

Been running Windows for 16 years, only ever had one problem and that was because I was doing something I shouldn't have been doing with my hardware and partitions.

We actually have very similar specs.

Here's what I run.

2GB DDR2 RAM, Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz, 320 GB HDD (SATA 7200). I can run 6 applications with ease as well.

Heck you should have seen what Brix used to do with a similarly specced machine.

His configuration was 4GB DDR2, Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz CPU, SATA 7200 RPM (The size of the HDD escapes m). Anyway he would run 20+ applications at least and have absolutely no issues with it at all. (Including 2 windows of firefox before they fixed the memory leak problem, photoshop, and all that other jazz)

I've always preferred a Windows OS PC (flaws tolerated) to anything by Apple. I had a multimedia art class senior year of high school (5 years ago) and I nearly dropped it to switch out classes because I dreaded, every morning, sitting down in front of that spinning cursor when the "indefatigable" Mac crashed simply from having Photoshop open with 30 layers.
If you know anything about computers at all then Windows is simply better, I agree. PCs can be upgraded a lot more, have support for more things, and are completely customizable (while also being cheaper.)

No! :shocked: Apple couldn't have formed a cult! It's better!!! :lol: I find it laughable when people who know nothing about computers at all try and tell me that Mac is better.

I agree. I'd take it a step further though. PC is to Mac what an automobile is to one of these:

If Mac was my first computer then I'm sure I wouldn't have these same qualms. It wasn't though. It's just not that great for business, especially with the networking problems and the fact that the business world is dominated by PC. Part of that I'm sure has to do with the fact that file structure and organization is much easier on a PC. On a Mac it's a pain to navigate through the files of your computer and sometimes you can't even get where you want to go without going back to the root hard drive folder.

I don't see many Mac fans ever bashing Mac for any reason, so I see your point. At least Windows "fans" will bash Windows with the best of them when a buggy version is released. As the saying goes: Windows CE/ME/NT (Cement :lol:). Vista didn't help things either. Windows 7, however is incredible. It's the most stable OS I've ever used, Mac or PC oriented.

I imagine you started on Mac's though. The problems I have with it are probably normal things that you see as everyday normal use. I just don't like how I feel confined while using one. I can't do what I want to do because they spent too much time making the OS look pretty vs. making it as fully functional as Windows.

For example, if I have a folder open, the only way to get it is to hit the button to view all windows and then look around for it there. On Windows, I can simply click it from the taskbar. Even in a grouped taskbar it's only two quick clicks to find it. On Mac it's clicking to the "all windows" page, then looking through about 30 to 40 windows. (Yes, I like to multitask like nobody's business, which could be another reason I prefer Windows, since I can have 100 things open and still be able to find any one thing in just a few clicks.)
And that my friend is why Windows is right for you.

I've never heard of a Mac user bashing Mac.

I've used just about every version of Windows and I have to say that Windows 7 is absolute perfection in my eyes it does not crash, it's extremely easy to use, and it does what I want it to when I want it to. There are plenty of terrible versions of windows though (ME, 2000, Vista, NT, any Starter version and most home versions).

I really don't like how Apple consistently bashes PC, they don't directly make any statement but rather make PC look like crap (which it isn't) and then they go on to say that Apple is better because PC is crap, it's genius advertising but it's a lie.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I def appreciate threads like this. I haven't used a Mac very often but I've never liked having to. I started out with Windows XP and never really had issues with that. Also, I don't ever remember my pc's ever crashing. Now I have Microsoft's Visual Studio 2010 and am learning to program in C++. In Windows 7, no matter how bad I f**k up with that, Windows always recovers fast.

My system is an Intel DH55HC Desktop board, an Intel 3.06 Ghz 32-bit CPU, a 750 Gb hard drive, a MSi N210 MD512H 2nd generation Nvidia graphic card, and 4 Gb of GSkill on-board memory.

I've played online 3D games and use the USB ports to upload pics from my 12.1 Mp camera, download music to my SanDisk, use flash drives, and I never have probs watching movies from my dvd drives. And I def love Windows 7. It never takes many clicks to get a lot of things done fast. And yeah, multi-tasking is totally easy and totally awesome.

Anyway, now that I've heard a RL experience with Mac, no way I'll ever try to switch.

Wade8813

Registered Member
I definitely prefer PCs, but that may just be because it's what I'm used to.

BTW, I read an article saying that for many Mac fanatics, their brain actually responds in much the same way people respond to religion.

IT-FLA

I've had problems with Macs for sure, but nothing compared to the problems I've had with PCs, over and over again.