I'm pissed- rant WICKED HAPPY UPDATE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by redsoxocd, Sep 11, 2009.

1. redsoxocd

redsoxocd living on the border

okay so my foster mom just sat my little sister and I down for a little family talk about this school year. She came up with a bunch of rules. One of them is no t.v....that means that I cant watch baseball

SHE JUST TOOK BASEBALL AWAY FROM ME.

I'm sorry but during the week it is actually theraputic for me to be able to turn on basebakk at the end of day. Its three hours where I dont have to think about how much of a fucked up life I've had.

She's not budging on the decision at all. Now I can deal with all of the other rules that she set, but this just isnt one of them.

Over the past 4 years beseball has helped me more than most of the forms of therapy and coping that I have had and used. I can deal without watching regular t.v. but I need my sports. This is going to be hell over of the next 10 months.

No baseball or hockey.

Its crunch time. Its the end of the season. This is when everything starts to matter. Baseball of friday, saturday, and sunday isnt enough.

She said that MAYBE she'll let me watch the playoffs. Thats fucking bullshit. That's rediculous. I almost cried. Baseball is part of the reason that I'm still here because its what helped keep me alive in 8th grade when I didnt have therapy yet. Those three hours help me more than anyone can ever imagine.

I get out of school at 12:30 what does she expect me to do for the other 9 1/2 hours until "bed time". Thats the other thing: I'm 17 in my senior year (I just found out today that I'm a senior!!!! I'm wicked excited:nod:), why the hell do I have a bed time? Why the hell is my bed time 10 pm? I cant even have the lights on (well I can have a small night light or a lamp and the radio on to decrease my night mares/terrors...as requested by my therapist).

At the school I'm going to the most amount of homework I'm going to get per night is 2 hours. I'm going to take a night school course for language 2 nights a week to meet my graduation requirements. I'm also going to try to take a community college course. So I can understand not having the t.v. on...but I NEED my sports.

My therapist and the hospitals that I've been to have acknowledge the fact that this is something very near and dear to me. Something that has been there for me when no one else has. Its something that I'm passionate about....

I CANT DO THIS

that all

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009

2. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Well if your therapists and hospitals you've been to acknowledge that baseball helps you relax, and that it helps you more than your therapies, maybe you could get them to explain to your foster mother that it is a necessary part of life for you.

Also, maybe stop bugging your foster mother about it, she'll probably come round and let you watch the games if she sees how much they mean to you.

3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

What about radio?

Im not sure where you live or what Baseball market you're in.... but here where I'm from we have all the local games available on AM radio, everything from our AAA team to our Collegiate teams, hell even sometimes they'll play high school tournaments if they are big enough and covered by someone willing to put the time in.

Have you thought about maybe going old school, I like how you mentioned how Baseball is therapeutic to you and how you've been an adamant fan of the sport since 8th grade. So that makes me wonder... do you think that maybe laying down relaxing with headphones on while listening to a game and just picturing the play by play in your head may be even more therapeutic?

Its just a thought, and for me personally... I actually enjoy / prefer to listen to hockey games broadcasted over the radio than I do to watch them. It keeps my mind even more busy as I picture the flow of play and try to picture the players as they are mentioned.

I say give it a try, if you're foster isnt budging what so ever, then you gotta make due with what you have right. Give a radio broadcasted game a try, you may be like me and end up preferring it to the televised instead.

4. redsoxocd

That's actually a really really good idea. I also enjoy listening to it on the radio...my mind doesnt really work correctly when I'm pissed. But still...there's that aspect of seeing it in play. Seeing all of the great catches and hits. Listening to Don and Remy. Just actually seeing the green field and just everything else at the park.

5. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

oh no no I completely agree that actually seeing the game is much better than pretending you are.

But! I would say if you have no other option, then the best way to stay positive about things is to remember "well I've seen enough games that..." maybe you'll have one of those vivid minds that can picture it all happening as the play by play announcers go at it.

However like I said I used to be a huge Sports-TV junkie when I was younger, then when I got ahold of an XM radio and got to listen to the announcers and color commentators... oh man I was hooked!

if anything to help ease the loss, its worth a shot. In actuality its much better than flat out going cold turkey!

6. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

It seems like she is a bit overbearing - on the other hand, you seem to indicate that she's laying down new rules because the old rules haven't worked in the past.

The 10 pm bedtime is a bit early, but from what I can tell, you don't care that much about it, and so I'd leave it alone (and really, having some sort of bedtime isn't unreasonable while you're under 18 and in school).

Maybe see if you can make a deal. Ask if you can show you'll do what you're supposed to, if she'll allow you to watch games a little more often (and meanwhile, use the radio to tide you over).

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  7. redsoxocd

The old rules have worked for me. This is her first school year with me and my foster sister and, besides my time missed, I've proven that I'm a really good responsible student.

My sister...well...she doesnt follow any rules and she's 15

8. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

You just found out? that's crazy :shocked:

How does that work?

Sorry you can't watch any sports, I understand how much sports mean to some people, like for me, I love watching Basketball, I follow the entire NBA season very intently, if that was suddenly taken away I'd be mad for sure.

I'd try to be patient with it, see how things work out.

9. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

I hate 15 year olds. They fucking suck.
    But the best thing you can do is sit down and calmly negotiate with your mother. You have to give a litttle to get a little, and be prepared to make compromises. Just be sensitive to your foster mother's feelings and philosophy about ruling. If you are cooperative, patient and willing to negotiate, 99% of the time, you will get good results

10. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

That may be the problem then - she doesn't want your sister distracted by the TV...?