• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

I'm Passionate About Cooking But...

Pepper

Registered Member
As much as I am passionate about cooking, I never thought about working as a cook. I have a couple of chef friends who almost have no life because of the long hours they have to work every day. Am I missing out on making a career out of my passion?

Keri35

Registered Member
Totally up to you. I love baking but I couldn't work as a baker. Yes! I think you should love your job but is it realistic to become a cook? I think if I started a job as a baker, I would soon get sick of baking and then I wouldn't want to bake anymore.

MiketheGrinder

Registered Member
I have a couple of chef friends who almost have no life because of the long hours they have to work every day. Am I missing out on making a career out of my passion?
I don't think cooks make much, even those in fancy establishments. However, you could get your feet wet to see if you'd like to open a cooking business. You could try offering classes locally around some sort of theme. Like cooking for kids, creating healthy meals, or baking for beginners. You could also see if your two busy friends would be interested in paying you to cook for them once or twice a week.

Interis

Registered Member
I've had people told me not to turn a hobby into work. It sounds beautiful at first as you get paid for doing something you like, but will it always stay like that? Is it not going to be more depressing when you hate something you used to like? I gladly keep my professional and fun things apart.

I suppose you can still turn it into a kind of side job and get additional income from the hobby, but not to expect too much.

Impaired

Registered Member
As much as I am passionate about cooking, I never thought about working as a cook. I have a couple of chef friends who almost have no life because of the long hours they have to work every day. Am I missing out on making a career out of my passion?
You have to try. I work with an engineer who was a chef for many years. He finally switched to IT when the long nights and lack of weekend life got to be too much.

He said he loved doing it for years.

I would try it. The worst that can happen is you find out it isn't for you. It is good to learn these things about yourself.

I tried my hand at art for a while - sold a lot of hand painted shirts - then I discovered that I wasn't having fun painting and began to dread the thought of a new batch of work. It became no fun.