I'm learning to play the guitar

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by Hiei, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Some of you might already know this, but I am, in fact, teaching myself how to play the guitar. I have to say that it's both easier and harder than I thought it'd be. It's easier because the sheet music is so easy to read that it's insane. And harder because I'm not quite good enough at hitting the notes that I need to hit to make the music sound nice. And I don't know how to read the music completely.

Basically, how I've been teaching myself is just by practicing songs that I like, but I'm having a hard time finding songs that I can actually play. I would love to be able to play some Tom Petty, but I can't figure out how to strum like that or how my fingers need to move.

If anyone has any tips or advice, I'd be greatly appreciative. Or if anyone would like to recommend some songs that are more on a beginner level, that would be great, too.

2. greyham_G

greyham_G Registered Member

If your having trouble reading music, learn how to read tabs. Tabs are super easy to read, very straight forward, and are readily available for pretty much any song you want on the internet. When i started playing and actually learning songs, i learned lots of blink 182. Its not that fast, not that hard, but it sounds good and everyone recognizes it. Other than that, play chords lots. Practice going from chord to chord, changing strumming patterns, stuff like that. Stuff like Tom Petty is mostly chords under the verses so you should be able to play that in no time. All you can do is practice. Eventually you'll improve strength and dexterity in your hands and strumming will come very easily after u have listened to songs numerous times and have played for a while. Best of luck learning, its a great skill. :)

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Registered Member

yea greys got it in one...

to recommend a song to learn...if you're trying to develop better coordination with strumming i'd say Wonderwall by Oasis...the chords are basic but the strumming pattern is quite intricate and practicing with it will be great at developing coordination for other songs...

4. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I taught myself to play by reading tutorials on the internet. It's pretty helpful. I just make up my own songs. Whenever I want to learn a new chord, I just make up a song using it, and eventually after playing it for awhile you pick it up. Good luck man.

PretzelCorps likes this.
  5. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I have to say, I just now got around to trying to play Wonderwall, and I just got a capo today, too. You're not kidding. It's not a hard song at all as far as notes go, but it's got some weird strumming. Figured it out today with a lesson I found online and it really helped. Thanks for the suggestion!

My problem is that I don't know how to read the chords. I can figure out the tabs, like you said, they're straight forward, but the chords confuse me. I just need to keep on practicing and figuring out what's where.

That's exactly what I'm doing, too. And I have a lesson book with the basics in it.

Thanks to all of you for your input. It's greatly appreciated!

6. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

Pick the hardest song you can find (that you like), learn to play it well, and all the other songs you want to play will seem comparatively easy.

It's easier than going by baby steps, because you'll be learning either way, and I've seen a few pros recommend going that route, if you want to learn quickly.

Of course, it really pays to have some rhythm, too. :lol:

Smelnick likes this.
  7. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

You know, I actually tried that, but Eruption is just too hard for me. It's good in theory, but I need to learn how to crawl before I can run. I'm still barely learning how to stand. :lol:

Soon enough, I'll have figured out all the chords, then I'll move on to bigger and harder songs.

8. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I found it hard to learn other songs. So I just learned chords and I make up my own songs. I've learned alot doing that. Like rhythm and the like.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Registered Member

lol no i wasn't kidding. No worries man, good luck with your new found friend(the mighty guitar).

Another couple of songs that help you with strumming are Brown Eyed Girl and To Her Door.

10. greyham_G

greyham_G Registered Member

Are you saying you dont understand this?
    g-chord.jpg

its just each string, and the dot is where the fingers go and the numbers are your finger number, index being 1, going through 4 to your pinky. Its really easy, and youll get to not even having to look at them any more, just sometimes youll run into a weird chord like a Bm7 or something and youll have to look it up(thats why i have a chord chart bookmarked) but yeah you should be fine. if thats not what you were having problems with post a pic of it and ill try and help.