I'm Learning To Play Guitar....Again

Discussion in 'Music' started by Hiei, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I had a guitar about a year and some change ago and I started to learn how to play and I had some issues with the guitar that I'd rather not discuss and ended up not having a guitar anymore. About two or three months ago, I finally broke down and bought an acoustic guitar and I fell in love with it. I love playing, and I love hearing the music that I make.

As it stands right now, I know most of the chords except for the barre chords because I can't quite figure out how to hold the guitar. If anyone has any suggestions on how to hold the guitar for barre chords, that'd be awesome!

I've actually been working on a song for a few weeks now, and I think it's coming along. Still needs work, but it's the chords that I play when I just want to meditate and play some music.

I have a chord progression wheel that really helps me to visualize the basic workings of how to write just about any song that would sound nice. It's been an extremely helpful tool to have, even though I'm just barely understanding how it exactly works.

I'm not sure why I'm making this thread, but I figure if nothing else, it'll help me to see how I'm coming along as I add more to this thread.

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

lol @ having issues with the guitar that you'd rather not discuss.

cool that you're picking it back up. <3

3. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I'm telling you, I love it more and more every time that I play. I'm really not sure why I didn't buy a guitar a year ago!

4. Jeanie

you want to hear something bad? I've had a guitar for about 10 years now and never learned to play it :paperbag: I've taken a few stabs at teaching myself, but I think I need to take lessons in order to make myself stick with it.

5. LifeinthePond

LifeinthePond Mark ov teh Pond

I recently gave away my violin. I'm not motivated enough to learn instruments.

Only thing I can really suggest is YouTube. I'm sure there are a good 15-20 videos out there on barre chords lessons and posture.

6. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

:-O WHAT?!

Damn! If you want to start playing and teaching yourself, the best thing that I found is just playing the scales up and down for about half an hour a day. It was pretty boring just playing the scales but it really helped me learn which notes are what. And once you know that, you basically have the ABC's of the guitar. From there, it's much more fun cause then I was able to figure out how to play chords.

What kind of a guitar do you have?
    ------
    I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. I'm sure that there's hundreds of videos on there for anything that I want to know.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  7. Jeanie

Acoustic. It's an Art & Lutherie wild cherry. My mom bought it for me out of the blue one year for Christmas.

How would you tune it if you don't have a pitch pipe?

8. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

You can tune it by ear, but I'm not very good at that. I'd recommend just going out and buying a tuner. I've seen them anywhere from about $10 - $30 depending on how fancy you want to get with it. Then all you have to do is just turn that on and strum each string until you've got it tuned in properly.

The last guitar that I had was wild cherry, too. It was a beautiful guitar. But I'm actually happy with my natural wood color acoustic.

9. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I have been playing recently as well. Right now I can play Say it's Possible by terra naomi, kiss me by sixpence none the richer, anyone else but you from juno, and I am in the process of learning wonderwall

Hiei and Jeanie like this.
  10. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I just looked up Say It's Possible and that's a pretty song. Those all sound like pretty easy songs to play, and that's kind of what I'm looking for. Easy songs to play. Wonderwall is easy to learn. All you need is a capo. I learned that when I had my first guitar, and learned it in about two days or so.

So far, I've learned .45 by Shinedown, Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Hurt by Johnny Cash. They're all pretty easy once you get the flow. Simple Man was kind of tricky but once I started playing it with my fingers and not a pick, it was SO much easier to play and learn.