• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

im having trouble starting up

Phoenix

Fee-nix
I have a mac G-4 with operating system 10.3. recently, usually at start up, my computor has been making a repetitive clicking noise. when this clicking starts, the computor ceases all activity and the cursor becomes a spinning wheel.
the clicking seems to be coming from the internal hard disks. i have tried repairing the disk permissions, i have tried reinstalling the operating system onto an alternate disk, i have tried doing the command-s process at startup to do the fsck -fy command, and i have tried running the mac hardware test disk.
the mac hardware test disk worked until i got to the section that said Volume structure, at which point the clicking continued. another bit of information-when i do the command-s process, sometimes the computor starts clicking, and a line comes up saying "DATAcontrol device blocking bus".
My dad thinks we may have to replace one of the hard disks. does anyone have any further suggestions as to what i can try to do to fix this problem? i would appreciate any suggestions or ideas :)

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
When did the problem start and have you made any hardware changes recently that could be related to the problem?

I don't use Mac myself but it sounds like a pretty standard error for the most part.

So you have two hard drives in the system? Have you tried unhooking the one that does not have the OS on it and seeing if you still have that problem?

Phoenix

Fee-nix
When did the problem start and have you made any hardware changes recently that could be related to the problem?

I don't use Mac myself but it sounds like a pretty standard error for the most part.

So you have two hard drives in the system? Have you tried unhooking the one that does not have the OS on it and seeing if you still have that problem?
No, I have not tried unhooking the hard drive...how is this done? I want to try anything and everything that might help me solve this problem.

Phoenix

Fee-nix
Well I don't know how that is done. I've never looked inside a Mac.

How many hard drives are in this thing?
there are two hard drives...im going to go to mac.com where i have a similar thread going and see if anyone has suggestions for unhooking a hard drive and testing for which one is faulty.