I'm gonna learn Spanish!

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
One of my three New Year's resolutions is to learn Spanish. I got the book already. I'm just waiting for my language CD to be converted to mps so I can have them on my ipod as I don't have a CD player on my netbook.

So who among you speak Spanish? Who have tried to learn it - whether successfully or not? What's the difficult part of learning this language? Any tips?

Millz

Woof
Staff member
V.I.P.
I took four years of Spanish and I was able to pick up on some things and didn't find it to be all that hard. That's saying something too since I was in high school and didn't give a crap about learning the language...I was only learning it because I was forced to do so.

So I think you can do it. I don't have any tips except that I didn't find it too difficult to learn.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
So it's like, if disinterested millz can do it, so can I? :lol: But you had years though. I was hoping for a few months to be able to say I know it. Do you have use for it since after school?

Millz

Woof
Staff member
V.I.P.
So it's like, if disinterested millz can do it, so can I? :lol: But you had years though. I was hoping for a few months to be able to say I know it. Do you have use for it since after school?
A few months seems pretty fast but I've never tried to learn a language in a short period of time so I don't know what is a normal length of time.

I've pretty much never used it since. The only time I think of was at my old job before my current job. A Spanish speaking lady came into the store I was working and couldn't speak English. I was able to pick up on a few words to help her find what she needed.

I mean personally the only place I've ever traveled where I'd might have needed it was Southern California lol.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
So even if you didn't use it or haven't been exposed to it, it kinda stuck with you enough to understand the lady. I mean I took German classes and just completely lost it after non-use, except maybe for ten words (not even a phrase).

Unity

Flawless Victory
Staff member
I took four years of Spanish and I was able to pick up on some things and didn't find it to be all that hard. That's saying something too since I was in high school and didn't give a crap about learning the language...I was only learning it because I was forced to do so.

So I think you can do it. I don't have any tips except that I didn't find it too difficult to learn.
The same thing as Millz had said above applies to me, pretty much. Even at the same high school, lol.

I've been thinking of relearning what I had known and trying to really learn Spanish all the way; it would be great for my social work career.

I'm considering those Rosetta Stone programs. Has anyone tried them, or heard of someone else trying them?

I'm considering those Rosetta Stone programs. Has anyone tried them, or heard of someone else trying them?
me!

I tried learning Italian with RS. It was good but expensive and I'm not sure it's worth the price considering it's not the best way for everyone to learn.

Anyway, I gave up lol. I still keep saying I'll go back to it but I can't really whilst I'm at school. One day...

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
My book by the way is Spanish by Living Languages (random house). It had a good French program that I recommend to people asking me what to buy if they want to learn French. And it's not as expensive as Rosetta.

Tgred90

Registered Member
I want to learn Spanish

I like Spanish songs. And the way they are speaking is different. So I am wondring how to learn it. Can any one help me?