I'm debating changing my voicemail

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mirage, Jul 14, 2008.

?

Should I change my voicemail?

1. Yes, Rick Rolling clients is bad

91.7%
  2. No, Important people need to laugh too!

8.3%
  1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

My voicemail is currently pretty much a Rick Roll. It starts at the chorus "Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down" etc. I never talk during it. The song just stops after the chorus and you hear a BEEP.

(45 seconds in for those of you who are new here...)

YouTube - Rick Roll

The problem is that I do freelance web development and graphic design for clients who call periodically. Do I risk it and hope I can get to the phone in time or do I resort to a normal voicemail?

:)

I'm leaning towards changing it unless I am talked out of it.

2. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

If it's an important phone call then yes do change it, it's more professional to have a normal voicemail. When I first got my cell phone, I did a funny voice mail, but then I realise that I have a lot of clients now so I need to be more professional so I did a normal voice mail. You should do the same.

3. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

lmao... why didnt I think to incorporate a Rick Roll in my voicemail. I may have to edit mine now. Maybe use my standard voice mail like nothing has changed and then start the Roll up.

"Hey this is Tommy, Sorry I missed your call. Leave me a voice mail and Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down!"
    ------
    however.... Rick rolling clients is considered rather Taboo in every Business Class I've ever taken.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  4. Atreyu

Atreyu #2 New Zealander

You should most definitly change it to you singing the chorus

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Haha me too icegoat. It hasn't happened yet because I usually answer my phone instantly but the one time I miss a call I'll feel pretty stupid having to explain that song to somebody.

It's like driving a motorcycle at 60MPH without a helmet. It's fun as long as you don't crash.

6. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

I guess it depends on what is more important buisness or fun. and which one you take more seriously. I think it could really compromise opportunities for you, but then maybe they aren't the typical stuck up buisness people i am used to.

7. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

you should change it to yourself talking, I hate calling people and their voice mail is super annoying, yours sounds like it's the worst though ;)

8. Vincent_Valentine

Vincent_Valentine Studley-Do-Right

My stance on Rick Rolling is well documented here, so my vote goes to change it.

9. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Definatly definatly definatly change it. You ultimately have to look at it this way; if a potential customer calls you and hears that, then you've given them one hell of a first impression. And it may not be that great of one. First impressions are 90% of the battle in any business deal, your voicemail should reflect that. It doesn't ahve to be stiff, but rick rolling a potential client could be a bad idea.

10. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Record yourself singing the Astley song, that makes it more personalised than just a random rr.