I'm becoming a teacher :)

Discussion in 'Jobs' started by NINnerd, May 21, 2010.

1. NINnerd

NINnerd Survived a M&G with Trent

Yes, that's right. I'm getting my teaching certificate so I can corrupt...I mean, enlighten young minds. ;)

I'm going through Texas Teachers, and it won't take me long at all. I hope that I can get a job by this school year, but we'll see.

I'm going to be qualified to teach English to grades seven and up.

My reasons for doing this are:

-Teaching is a full-time, permanent position with benefits
    -I'll have summers and major holidays off
    -The time I have off will coincide with the time my little brother has off from school (he's almost 7 yrs. old), so I can see him more often
    -I like to explain things (haha)

So, what do you guys think? Jeanie, want to come help me? Haha.

Bananas likes this.

2. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Nice, Jane! English is the subject I'd likely choose to teach, myself. What's Texas Teachers about?

3. NINnerd

Thanks. :)

Texas Teachers is an alternative teaching certificate provider.

Basically, when most people want to get a teaching certificate, they enroll in college for the courses (which take a full semester or more). With alternative programs, you aren't enrolled at a college. The classes you take face-to-face are sped up, and the rest is done online. I still have to do 30 field hours plus one year of probationary teaching, just like I would at college. But this takes a lot less time since it's "compressed" and most of it is at your own pace. And on top of being cheaper than college, you don't have to pay them back unless you have a full-time teaching job WITH benefits. And then they just take it from your check, and it's all paid off in ten months.

Overall, it's just a super fast way to get certified. Haha - sorry for the long explanation.

4. EllyDicious

EllyDicious made of AMBIGUITY V.I.P. Lifetime

Wow that's great, especially when you know you're getting those benefits!!!!
    Congratulations and Good luck!!!! :D

5. NINnerd

Thanks, Elly! :D I'm hoping it works out.

6. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

That's both awesome and perfect. Yes I would love to come help you teach kids the difference between your and you're.

7. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

That's awesome news NIN! I'm sure you're going to be a great teacher. You should definitely keep us updated. I wish you the best of luck.

8. RJ-Cool

RJ-Cool "Expect the unexpected"

Good for you! Congrats! I taught IT sometime ago and it was a rewarding experience. All the best!

9. Great100

Great100 Registered Member

You should be my teacher. Well anyway congrats on the job. Over here, there doing budget cuts and most of our teachers (mainly the new ones) are getting laid off.

10. NINnerd

Thanks, guys! :) I'm just waiting for Texas Teachers to receive my transcripts from my college. It's taking forever.

Jeanie - You can come teach a special lesson on "your" and "you're". :)