I'm a Pirate Who Can't Do Anything

Scissorhands

Registered Member
I sometimes I think I have A.D.D. But it seems that these days everyone has some kind of disorder. Everyone claims to, at least. "Oh, I'm OCD about this or that" or "I have horrible A.D.D yadda yadda." But when it comes down to me I think I really do! I can't seem to stay focused on anything at all. Maybe it is just a huge commitment problem, but either way; I have a problem.

I can play guitar and I am novice at the keyboard. But when I start to play either one I will start to write something for a couple minutes then start something completely new. I can't even bring myself to learn a full song on guitar because I learn one or two parts and I move on to another song or -begin to write something of my own. Then a couple minutes later I find myself setting the guitar down and going about another task.

I have a desire to get into fitness and such. When I was in high school I used to have some meat on these bones because I played sports and all that jazz. But since then (08) I haven't done shit and I'm getting rather skinny. But whenever I get motivated enough to start to do something with myself it never lasts. I do a couple push-ups and go about other tasks.

I love video games. Especially RPs and MMORPGs. I buy so many of them and end up wasting my money. I get into the game and play through about twenty levels or so and I just have an urge to start a new character from scratch and do it again. I don't even have the patience to read what the computer characters say to me. I just click through everything. So I do that a couple times until I get tired of playing the game all together. At which point I (You guessed it!) go about other tasks.

(Do keep in mind that none of these other tasks are ever completed either!)

I don't know what's wrong with me. There are so many things I aspire to do. Along with my interest in health in fitness I would like to take a class in Tai Chi because I view it as the ultimate art form. But I don't have the motivation (or the funds right now) to actually do it. I really wish that I had some skills to do anything. I'm also interested in computers and I would give my left nut to be able to sit down and take the time to actually read a web page or tutorial on learning a programming language or program that I am interested in learning and actually give it a try. But I try it and I end up just skimming through the pages hardly reading anything until I decide that it's just too complex for me.

Oh, the list goes on forever. I just realized that I possess no skills what-so-ever. As stated before I can play guitar, but I can't even really prove that because if someone asked me to play for them I could only play a riff here and there. No full songs or anything more than a couple seconds long.

It really sucks. I need a diagnosis!

Last edited:

Wade8813

Registered Member
I don't think anybody here is qualified to give you an official diagnosis, and if they are, they'd probably tell you that it requires more than a quick blurb about yourself over the internet.

That said, I love the song reference in your thread title... :lol:

R1pperZ

Registered Member
Well maybe you just have a short attention span, is there a reason you can't go to a doctor to be diagnosed? At least take a check list test on Web MD or something before asking us...

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Discipline. You need discipline.

Do you have a decent library in the jurisdiction in which you live (special grammar for Eli ;) ) If so, get a library card and check out some instructional books and/or videos to help you learn to do the things you want to do.

Just because everyone claims to have this or that disorder, doesn't necessarily mean you don't. It's possible you have ADD or if not disordered, at least issues. Again, go to the library and get some books about dealing with ADD without meds (if there's some reason you're not going to the doctor). If you really suspect you do have ADD issues, and don't want to be treated medically for it, I recommend reading some books by Peter Breggin.

You also don't need money to get in shape, you can do push ups, planks, squats, lunges, and run for free. I think that if you start working on getting in shape, the discipline you need will follow.

Scissorhands

Registered Member
The reason I don't go to the doctor (and have never been except for shots ordered by the school) is that I do not and have never had insurance. My father never carried it on me and I surely can't afford it now.

Maybe it is just discipline. =/ Or maybe it's... SARS.

EDIT:

Or... =P

Last edited:

elcaminojoe

Registered Member
man you sound like me. I like starting projects rather than actually completing them a lot of the time. Its a bad habit. Though I am improving it since the beginning of this year, because it was a resolution. Like this place. I signed up and I was like "Oh, I'm going to go on here all the time and talk to people, and post, and blah blah blah...." -then I disappeared for like a year. But now I'm back haha. oh and props for the Veggietales reference in your title.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
Yeah, I kinda know what you mean; my interest/attention shifts like the wind. I have a suspicion, though, it has less to do with being ADD, and more to do with being still rather young. Personally, I like variety myself, but I anticipate things becoming a little more focused as I approach 25 - 28, if for no other reason than to be able to begin functioning better on less sleep. For the time being, I do what needs to be done and just enjoy the ride.

Wait, actually, nix that --> I just remembered I'm probably going to pick up some discipline over this summer, after getting yelled at by sergeants and warrant officers for 15 weeks straight...

I love video games. Especially RPs and MMORPGs. I buy so many of them and end up wasting my money. I get into the game and play through about twenty levels or so and I just have an urge to start a new character from scratch and do it again. I don't even have the patience to read what the computer characters say to me. I just click through everything. So I do that a couple times until I get tired of playing the game all together. At which point I (You guessed it!) go about other tasks.
I used to do the same thing. During EverQuest I started up a Magician, Shadow Knight, Bard, Necromancer and Monk. Something about the lower levels I liked and testing out each class was also fun. I eventually told myself that I was going to play a Monk to the maximum level and create no more classes - even if that meant not playing with friends that were doing the same thing. It worked! I got to the maximum level and had a blast with all the other higher-ups.

Boils down to discipline. Jeanie has it right, listen to her. :D

Last edited: