Illogical Laws

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Boredie, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

There is no logic behind faith. Or is there?
    There's no proof of God, all we have are man written books. And people these days claim (and quite rightly) that these men wrote the books without any God backing them up, that they invented religion.

I am questioning the logic behind many laws, since they have no logic to them. Let's take homosexuality as an example (please don't fixate on homosexuality for this thread since it's just an example).

Why would man who has written these books of religion bother with illogical laws? Why would man go out of his way to make life difficult for him and his people? What would he gain from it? Why couldn't man just keep religion simple with logical laws, like no murder, no theft, respecting your elders, etc etc.

Bliss likes this.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Because they don't see the laws as illogical.

As for the bolded question, I'm not sure what subtleties you're aiming at, but plenty of people go out of their way to make things difficult, they just rarely see those rules and regulations as such.

Laws can never be simple since murder is rarely simple for example. A guy kills another guy, should we just jail him? What if you found out he killed the other guy out of self-defense? Should he be jailed for protecting himself or his family? It's not simple, end of story. It's why we have a complex system of laws and courts to make sure that people are treated justly (although it's very arguable how well the courts actually work these days).

3. FutureTrackStar

FutureTrackStar Registered Member

- Well, this question presupposes that God did not inspire the book(s). If God did inspire (The Bible) then there are very logical reasons for making certain laws.

4. Boredie

Yes I know that :). I'm deliberately focusing on the man-made version of religion in this thread.

5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Why? I do not know, probably to do with personal conviction based on some previous conservative values that entwine themselves into religious verse.

The most prominent illogical example I can think of is the suppression of women and their role in society.

Bliss likes this.
  6. Boredie

The first book(s) written about religion is, if I'm not mistaken, is the bible, starting with Genesis or Job (no one knows who wrote it).
    What religion did they base their books on?

Idol worshiping (in some religions) for example demanded human sacrifice. What did they base that law on(if indeed it was a law)? What came before it? Wasn't it just humans decision to do so?

7. Bananas

I dont think they so much based it on another religion, but those who wrote it must of been influenced to some degree by their environment, community and the values held to them. On a religious level this could of been anything, there have been tens of thousands of religions and belief systems all springing up collectively and isolated throughout mans excistence. Some of these religions even share a convergent evolution; such as animism, it exists in many religons across the world and has developed independently from each other. All we do know though is the Abrahamic religions that sprung up from the middle-east and they did very well for themselves.

Im not to clued up on Genesis but Im sure their will be connections with the pheonecians, egyptians, mesapotonians, babyloanians, assyrians etc...etc... and all the different civilisations and their religions that went before Genesis was written. Take El for example who obviously plays an important part to Judaism and look at how his existence(belief) came to be. Another example of origins could be the Holy Trinity, a Christian concept that was also a part of the Egyptian religion that encompassed the 3000 years before the New Testament was written...are they both connected? ....we probably will never know, but the similarities between what we know of the present major religions and those that predate them do exist.

I would guess that this goes back to animism and early polytheism too. If times are hard you must appease the Gods, if the river gives no fish then you must appease the River God by way of gifts, maybe originally it was just a shiny pebble, later a handful of grain, a fragment of food, a live animal and then as times got worse the gifts were greater leading to the ultimate possesion we have; human life itself. It is just a logical progression to an illogical outcome.

8. Boredie

If I understood you correctly, Bananas, you're saying that man who has written the bible (for example) based his laws on religions that existed before hand. Yes?

From that are we to conclude that the religions that existed before the bible really were from a God or were they still man made?

9. Bananas

The only answer I can give here is my own personal reflection of religion/s and God/s.

I believe that Gods are man made ideas based on supernatural events. The supernatural event is life, the universe and ours and all we recognize place within it. The notion of God is our creative connection to a world we do not understand, over time this notion of God has been molded, shaped and defined to suit our needs, we call it religion.

Imagine being on a stranded ship on the great oceans and looking towards the horizon and conjuring up images of far away lands. The lands may exist but how they are envisage is most likely to be wrong, but this will not deter us from trying to reach them and be even more respectful of the water that surrounds us. That is how I view the whole concept of Gods. It is a comfort of the world around us and the path ahead of us.

How this fits into illogical laws, it is like I expressed earlier the logical path to an illogical solution. To stop the ocean swallowing us up we will give to it, so it does not have to take from us. Our primary goal is to reach those fabled islands. This is me describing region on the simplest form but if we were to start applying mans irrationality over a great course of time, manipulating and bending the images of the isles and determining the best path to get to them, it easy to see how completely crazy the ideas may get but for as long as the majority are rational then the irrational ones will be accepted too.

10. Boredie

Can you try and explain why illlogicality was needed in the first place? How did man know what god wanted if he invented God?
    Why do you think there was a need to appease a God (which man invented) because of misfortunes? If God is man made concept couldn't they deal with their misfortunes by themselves? Or just live with them?
    Why did they believe (using your example) that the ocean will in fact swallow them?