illness / disability / disease in the family

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boredie, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Recently my sister was diagnosed with Juvenille Diabetes. She's 16 and very sensitive. I'm assuming she hasn't accepted her situation yet and I find it difficult talk to her about it.
    Now every time we (the rest of us) sit down to eat or have something with sugar I can't help but feel bad and nor do I want to display my enjoyment in what I'm eating.
    Usually it doesn't take long and she leaves our presence but I don't blame her.
    She can't stand it that we feel sorry for her, but she feels so sorry for herself that there's not really a way to get her to really open up and talk about it and get it out of her system.

Not sure if I'm looking for advice or not, but do any of you have someone in the family with an illness/disability/disease? and how do you deal with it personally and as a family?

2. Skylar

Skylar Keepin' It Real

Hi Boredie. I just registered here and yours was the first post I seen. I don't have diabetes but I am disabled. I have a back injury and 2 surgerys so far, and I hope to walk again.
    I know where she is coming from, not wanting to talk to anyone about it, but you should try to get her to open up if you can. You'll both feel better afterward.
    Don't feel sorry for her. I'd be mad if someone felt sorry for me too.
    Feeling sorry for herself is no good either.

3. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Boredie, instead of sitting down to have something with sugar, why don't you guys start buying sugar-free treats? The taste has come a long way and it's something you can all enjoy together without your sister feeling left out.
    If she takes care of herself, there is the possibilty that she'll outgrow the diabetes.

4. Boredie

Boredie In need of Entertainment

Skylar,
    I try not to show my feeling sorry for her, and it helps that she doesn't show anyone that she feels sorry for herself, though I know she does.
    When I first found out about it we did talk about it just so I can understand the situation, but since then she doesn't talk about her feelings and how she's dealing with it. I guess my not living at home makes a difference and that she doesn't feel that close to me.

Angels,
    We do have the sugar free foods available to the whole family when we get together but there are some in the family including myself that just can't get used to many sugar free foods, as an example diet sodas.
    She understands that, but I guess that because she's frustrated she decides to leave. When I come to think of it she would leave the room on many occassions when she got upset even before the diagnosis, so maybe it's just her way of dealing with it.

Luckily she is listening to the docs and she is taking care of herself but Juvenille Diabetes doesn't go away the other Diabetes type 2 can be overcome though. So it'll be something she will have to deal with the rest of her life and I am hoping that in time she will get accustomed to the situation.

5. Turbo

Turbo Registered Member

well my father was diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago and its just a matter of making adjustments in diet.

as for disability, both my brother and i have spinal muscular atrophy which falls under the category of muscular dystrophy. it requires the use of motorized wheelchairs and assistance to do many physical everyday tasks because our physical abilities are limited.

6. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

We have a history of diabetes and blood pressure (can't remember high or low). But the big thing is my Stargardt's disease (juvenile macular dystrophy). It's super recessive and apparently both my parents had it in their genes and I happened to get it. What are the odds...

7. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

My Mum has diabetes but I'm not really worried about that, that's more of an individual and circumstancial disease.

But my grandad died of kidney failiure which unfortunately is hereditary.

8. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

My grandfather has Alzheimer's disease and my mother had endometriosis.

So those are two things that I have to look forward to.

9. English-Emo-Boy

English-Emo-Boy Supreme System Lord V.I.P. Lifetime

To be honest most old people get Alzheimer's, it's just part of getting old.

10. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Alzheimers is different than just regular memory loss. With alzheimers you literally end up forgetting everything. Down to how to talk and even things like eating or walking. It's not that they can't, it's that they don't remember how to. Memory loss comes with time, alzheimers is a disorder normally associated with old people.