Illegal Immigrants Are Law Abiding Citizens Now?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Take a look at what Obama said recently:

"We're examining any implications especially for civil rights because in the United States of America, no LAW ABIDING person -- be they an American citizen, illegal immigrant, or a visitor or tourist from Mexico -- should ever be subject to suspicion simply because of what they look like."
-Obama

Do you see a problem here? Apparently in Harvard, Constitutional law considers law abiding American citizen and illegal immigrant to be synonymous..

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't think he's saying that illegal immigrants are law abiding. I think he's just saying that people who don't appear to be breaking the law shouldn't be subject to suspicion based on what they look like. And he certainly didn't say or even imply that illegal immigrants are American citizens.

Last edited:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here's where I get stuck:

"no LAW ABIDING person -- be they an American citizen, illegal immigrant..."

"they" clearly refers to "LAW ABIDING person" in that quote. This is established by the "be they" that immediately follows law abiding person.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I took it to mean people who don't appear to be breaking any laws. Line up next to each other an illegal immigrant from Mexico, an American citizen of Mexican decent, and a tourist from Mexico, and identify which is which. You can't. I think that's what he's trying to say. He probably could have worded it better.

(By the way, I don't side with Obama on this issue. I agree with the Arizona law.)
------
That makes even more sense then. Thanks.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Yeah, that did sound kind of funny but thanks SS for clearing that up, that makes more sense.

I will say in response to Echoes for me and for most people down here it's fairly easy to tell the difference between citizens of Mexican descent, illigal immigrants, and tourists from Mexico. Maybe it's just from living here all my life.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's what I get for not double checking. It seemed plausible though so I rolled with it. :lol:

I wonder if there is an audio or video of this speech, or if it was just a PR statement.

EDIT: I looked into this a bit and it does appear that there are mixed reports on the wording that was actually said. At this point it remains up in the air whether or not he said "illegal immigrant" or "a legal immigrant".

Last edited:

yourwebcrafter

Registered Member
Forgive me for jumping in here, but regardless his real wording, and I do agree I think it was "a legal immigrant" The thought process of the current administration is very clear...the law as it stands bears no meaning. The hard work and money that people put forth in order to be able to come to this country has no meaning, as every immigrant that is here without being made to go through the same process is I would think and insult to everyone that followed the legal process and is here attempting to better themselves.

Most including the Attorney General, and the head of Homeland Security quickly belittle the law and accuse it of being unconstitutional prior to their even reading the law as it stands which you can find here
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

Read the law, you will see that it is very specific to the fact that a reasonable suspicion of other crimes must be present. That the only guidelines to be followed is the Arizona Constitution and the United States Constitution, hense profiling due to race, religion, gender, or ethnicity is strictly a no no. At the same time, the law must be enforced when discovered and no laws can be made to prevent the law from being enforced.

Regardless if you are white black, latino, or asian when you get pulled over for speeding you are asked for a valid drivers license and your registration and proof of insurance...if you have a valid drivers license or any State or Federally issued i.d. then you do not have to provide any other proof as to your immigration status, nationality, or identity. This holds true for each and every American, why should it be any different for anyone else, be they a citizen, tourist, or terrorist?

Lets be for real about some things...the real goal I believe is political power but that is another debate....regardless of that If we visit any other country and are stopped for suspicious or illegal behavior would we be asked to provide identification, passport, or proof of citizenship?

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
Regardless of the small disagreements on what Obama said exactly the title of this thread is way off. I'm pretty sure we can all agree that he definitely wasn't saying that illegal immigrants were law abiding citizens.

I'm gonna play devils advocate here for a second.

It does seem like an oxymoron "law abiding illegal immigrant" hold on... law abiding... illegal... that means they aren't law abiding.

This whole immigration debate is getting old for me, I've been called a racist 4 times this week for arguing against illegal immigration. Some people have a major problem seeing the big picture obviously.

I found the video of it too for those of you who want it.

The line we're all focusing in is at about 5:20

President Obama and President Calderón Press Availability | The White House

Yeah I'm gonna say that he said "a legal" even though it still sounded logical to me that obama would have said "illegal".