"I'll keep in touch"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bliss, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I've had this line said to me many times and it's not often said with meaning. I have made a lot of friends at work over the six years I've been there and a lot of them have left the company to work elsewhere. Now, some of these people were people I thought would always be in my life. There was one girl in particular that I was really close with. We saw each other out of work, we had a laugh in work and we always got on well. She left the company due to personal reasons and the last time I saw her was four years ago this Christmas. She came to visit me to give me a Christmas present. In the card it read 'I won't write a goodbye speech as you know I'll see you all the time!' What a lie that was. :-/ People just get too busy or something and they move on so quickly it seems.

Have any of you ever been thrown this line only to be let down.. Or have you actually said it and never kept to it?

2. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

I was just talking about this with a friend of mine - she was one of Delaney's teachers and we got to know each other pretty well, and we really connected. We promised we'd keep in touch and get together, but so far we've only gotten together once since she left the day care back in March. We do keep in touch on facebook, but that's about it. I think people just get busy, and if you don't have that constant reminder there to make contact with people (like former coworkers or whatever) it rarely actually happens. Also, some people are much better at making things happen than others. I have one friend whom I've known for 18 years, and if she wasn't so good at calling me and keeping in touch, it never would have happened. Part of that is my phone anxiety - Pam and Kay can attest to the fact that I'm terrified of the phone.

3. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

There have been so many people that have come and gone in my lifetime that I try to say that as little as possible. When I moved from Pennsylvania to Arizona (2,200 miles across the country) I thought that I'd still be friends with all of my friends in PA. I haven't talked to almost all of them since I moved here. None of them tried to contact me, either.

Even at my current job, there are people that I'll get along with at work that I'd like to remain in contact with, but for some reason or another, it just doesn't happen. It saddens me a little when I think about the great times that we had together, but then I realize that even if we got back together today to hang out, I bet that we're so completely different from the people that we were, that we're almost better off. But, I don't have any problems not having many or really any friends because I know that that's just how life is. People come and people go.

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I've found that the "Let's keep in touch" line gets thrown around way too often without any real meaning to it. I've had a lot of people say it to me, and I've said it as well, and usually we never end up keeping in touch.

5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I think its important to remember that it is not just them who is failing to keep in touch, it is also you.

I find friends come and go, there are only a few people who despite not seeing each other very often I will always call friends. There are other people who I see all the time, who I know if times change I will probably never see again.

I also would never say "I'll keep in touch" as Im the worst person for not keeping in touch.

6. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

Well for me I sent texts and left a few voicemails. I didn't want to seem like a stalker or something. She text me back a few times but she was always busy and would say 'We'll sort something out soon' but we never did.
    My other friend had a baby recently and I never hear back from her. I understand she would be busy but to say we were really close once upon a time makes me sad to think she can't find any time for me at all. Maybe it's me lol.

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

PS - K.I.T.

its written under almost every single signature in my yearbooks.... yet the funny thing is every single person that wrote "K.I.T." in there, well I never ever talk to 'em. Yet the ones that didnt... are the ones that I actually still talk to :hah:

Dunno if writing out "K.I.T." was a way to pass blame or something, but it did seem like an overrated and never followed phrase. Then again to be completely honest... the majority of the people that signed it in my year book... I'm kinda glad I closed that chapter of my life and really dont have to go back to it.

(Except for lollergagging at all the KIT's that never kept in touch :hah:)

8. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm really bad for keeping in touch, and it's a line I always say. Sometimes it's an easy way to say goodbye to someone, rather than just a cold goodbye, because you know you won't talk again. Sometimes life really does just get too busy, and without the constant reminded of seeing them each day, it's so easy to forget about them.

9. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

Being that I just went to college five hours from home, I heard this a lot in the last month. I didn't use it a whole lot and I'm pretty proud, because I only would want to say it if I meant it. Likewise, most people who said it to me back home have not contacted me.

10. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

I'm the kinda guy who can go years without seeing or speaking to someone and then pick up right where we left off without all the awkwardness of "getting back into touch". Frankly, I absolutely can't stand it when you come across someone you haven't seen for a while and they spend the entire time wailing on you about how you never made enough of an effort to keep in touch; I wonder if they actually think they're the only person(s) in the universe with important things to do.

It takes two to lose contact.