• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

IIHF 2012 World Juniors

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This great tournament starts tomorrow. I'll be watching most of the games and I'm hopeful we can get a good discussion going.

Canada play their first game tomorrow against Finland, it will definitely not be an easy match up.

Personally, I don't believe Canada will win it all this year, but they should place in the top three.

Player to watch out for is Nail Yakupov who will probably end up being the first overall selection in the 2012 NHL draft.

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
Yeah, I have heard tons of great things about Yakupov from all of the various NHL analysts. He seems to be a shoe-in to be a number one pick and to be a future Columbus Blue Jacket or Anaheim Duck (I'm hoping for the latter). I'll be watching it a bit more this year. The last few years I only tuned in for the medal games. I watched part of the repeat of the 2010 gold medal game earlier and it was interesting to see many of today's young stars in the NHL back before they were even drafted.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I really suggest you guys to watch it if you get coverage. I know, it's not big in the US, but it's pretty much our March Madness. It's amazing hockey to watch, these young players play really hard, and leave it all on the ice. You see some nice goals, some really hard hits and some great save.

Also, I want you to watch because I want to get some discussion going.

Ivan13

Registered Member
Canada won't win it all because of their poor goaltending (I still can't believe that they didn't call Calvin Pickard) and their roster selections are a bit strange.

And as for Yakupov going 1st in the 2012 NHL draft, any team that takes him before Grigorenko doesn't know what they're doing.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Team Canada off to a great start, already leading Finland 2-0 and it's just ten minutes in. Montreal's prospect Brendan Gallagher scored the second goal for Canada. Hopefully they can maintain this strong start and eventually win the game. But there's lots of Hockey left. Canada needs to lay more hits on those Fins though.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Canada won 10-2 last night against Denmark making them 3-0 going in to a game against the Americans on New Years Eve. It's always a great game when these two teams square off against each other. Hopefully, the Canucks come out victorious.

Last night, Russia, played against Latvia. The Captain of team Russia, Kuznetsov, didn't have a point until seven minutes into the 2nd period. He had nine points in "thirty-three minutes". That's just insane. Feel bad for the Latvian goalie, he was great in the first period

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I haven't really been following this too closely but I did catch some of the Canada/USA game the other night.

Disappointing to go 1-3 but it was a nice comeback attempt against Canada.

Wedgewood is a man beast.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah, terrible tournament for the Americans.

Also, I agree, Wedgewood is a beast, he's going to be a good one in the NHL.

Tonight the Canadians have their semi-final game agaist the team that shattered their dreams last year, those pesky Russians. It will be a very tough game for us Canucks, but I hope that they come out on top and move on to the Finals.

lescamil

Hopeless musician
V.I.P.
Should I be a dick like the Canadians were and root against all the teams that play Canada? Or should I root for Canada just because they're the closest remaining country to the US? It's an interesting tourney, and I hope to catch a few games, but I need someone to root for. I might just root for Finland, since I've always liked that country.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well, obviously Canada are going to boo the teams that they play against, the tournament is in Canada, it only makes sense. It would happen in the US, and other countries, but we Canadians support our team wherever they play and get ton of fans at the games, so it's really rare that team Canada will get booed.