• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nintendo IGN's top 125 Nintendo games

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Dave will like this one.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/24/the-top-125-nintendo-games-of-all-time?watch=true&page=1

I think I've played about 43 of the games on the list, which isn't an impressive number, but then again there is a surprising number of Wii/Wii U/3DS games on there, none of which I have played.

The top 10 is fairly predictable, and I've played eight of those. Amazingly I've never played Super Metroid.

There's a lot things I don't agree with on there, like Donkey Kong Country being #85. It could have easily been in the top 20-25, and a lot of the games they ranked higher are pretty mediocre. Like 1080 Snowboarding. It was a fun game for sure, but it's nowhere near the classic that DKC is.

They have Link's Awakening really high. #14? I guess I don't disagree with it too much. I do love the game and feel it's one of the more under-appreciated games in the series.

Super Mario Sunshine at #47? Are you kidding me? No way. Doesn't deserve to be higher than DKC or some of the other games below it. I hated this game. They overvalued most of the Mario games.

DK64 isn't on there at all? Neither is Conker's Bad Fur Day, but I'm not sure that one fits their criteria of being released exclusively for Nintendo platforms.

Can't really argue the top 10 at all, but I do think Super Mario Bros is slightly overrated. It's certainly one of the most influential games ever, but best? I don't know.

One last thing I noticed is that every single game in the top 10 is from the 80's or 90's, with the exception of Metroid Prime (2002). Mario Galaxy is the only game in the top 20 from the last 10 years. They just don't make games like they used to. ;)

dDave

V.I.P.
Here are the games from that list that I've played. Most of them extensively.

In the order that they appear on the list....

1. New Super Luigi U
  2. Mario Party 5
  3. Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels
  4. Mario Party 3
  5. Donkey Kong Country Returns
  6. Balloon Fight
  7. Banjo Tooie
  8. Mario Paint
  9. New Super Mario Bros Wii
  10. Zelda: Skyward Sword
  11. Luigi's Mansion
  12. Mario Bros
  13. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  14. Donkey Kong Country
  15. Diddy Kong Racing
  16. Super Smash Bros
  17. Animal Crossing Wild World
  18. Super Mario Kart
  19. Zelda: Oracle of Seasons & Ages
  20. Perfect Dark
  21. New Super Mario Bros
  22. Mario Kart DS
  23. Donkey Kong Country 2
  24. Animal Crossing: Population Growing!
  25. Zelda: Twilight Princess
  26. Zelda II
  27. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  28. Super Mario Bros 2
  29. Super Mario Sunshine
  30. Pokemon Y
  31. Super Mario 3D World
  32. Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
  33. Zelda: Majora's Mask
  34. Donkey Kong
  35. Wii Sports
  36. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  37. Mario Kart Double Dash
  38. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  39. Mario Kart 8
  40. Starfox 64
  41. Goldeneye 007
  42. Banjo Kazooie
  43. F-Zero GX
  44. Super Smash Bros Melee
  45. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
  46. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  47. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  48. Mario Kart 64
  49. Super Mario Galaxy
  50. The Legend of Zelda
  51. Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
  52. Super Mario Bros 3
  53. Super Mario World
  54. Metroid Prime
  55. Zelda: A Link to the Past
  56. Super Mario 64
  57. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  58. Super Metroid
  59. Super Mario Bros.

A couple of thoughts.

A. - Overrated games - Super Mario Bros, new Super Mario Bros (the whole series), Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow, Goldeneye 007 (don't kill me for saying this!), Mario Kart 64 (it simply doesn't deserve to be quite as high as #13)

B. - Critical Thoughts - Super Mario 64 DS was better in just about every way than the original game. Mario Party original was better than 3 or 5. Donkey Kong 64 should not only be on the list but in the top 20 easily (it's the best 3D platformer there is). Mario Bros is a terrible game, it shouldn't be on the list. Donkey Kong was good for the time but I've put a lot of time into it (via DK64 and Animal Crossing) and no way would I put it on the list. While Mario Kart 64 and 8 are both really good games, I'd still put Double Dash ahead of both of them and 64 has more nostalgic value for me. I'm also of the opinion that Perfect Dark was better than Goldeneye in many ways, it was simply an upgrade of pretty much the exact same game (except PD had a cooler plot and concept).

C. - Good things to say - I'm glad to see that Metroid gets some serious respect, I'm also pleased to see the two best Zelda games so high on the list. I was surprised to see F-Zero GX, I thought I was the only one that liked that game. Donkey Kong Country 2 is better than the original so I'm glad to see that accurately reflected in this list. Very happy to see Smash Bros Melee so high, I've always thought it was a fantastic game and the best in the series. There are some great titles on the list and while some are lacking or placed wrong I do generally like the list.

I played Starfox 64 as recently as yesterday :lol:.

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Donkey Kong 64 should not only be on the list but in the top 20 easily (it's the best 3D platformer there is).
Better than Super Mario 64? I don't know where I'd rank DK64. I just know it's kind of a joke that it didn't even make this list. It's a great game.

I'm also of the opinion that Perfect Dark was better than Goldeneye in many ways, it was simply an upgrade of pretty much the exact same game (except PD had a cooler plot and concept).
Perfect Dark mostly just improved upon everything from Goldeneye. Goldeneye was the more influential game. Perfect Dark was arguably the better game. Personally I prefer GE though. I spent a lot more time playing the single player in GE than I did in PD. PD's multiplayer was a lot better and had more replayability, but I still played the crap out of GE multiplayer, and it was great for its time (but not so much today).

I'm glad to see that Metroid gets some serious respect
Well if you think about it, Metroid is one of Nintendo's flagship franchises, so it doesn't surprise me. I was surprised that Metroid Prime 3 was on there and not Prime 2 though. 2 wasn't the most well-regarded game among Metroid fans, but it seems like most prefer it over 3.

I want to make my own top 10 or 15, but I think it would be really tough.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I'm not a big Nintendo fan, so I just skipped to the top 10. I've played 4 of them.

Super Mario Bros. is completely overrated on this list. No way I can agree with it at #1, especially seeing as I liked Super Mario Bros. 3 & Super Mario 64 a whole lot more.

Last edited: