If you've seen it on TV...

Boredie

In need of Entertainment
My grandpa used to say, if it's (a revolutionary gadget/hi technology pieces) being used in a TV show, then it will be invented in the future.

Mostly regarding shows like Star Trek, or other futuristic shows (aired in the 1960s onwards) that involved advanced technology that no one (the general public) imagined could be possible to create.

When you look back on these old shows/movies and see things like video conversations, advanced tele-communications, medical advancement (which didn't exist during the days of the show) etc. etc. we take these things for granted.

What are your thoughts on the subject?
Do you think that shows aired these days (I don't watch tv, so I don't know) are able to come up with "fanatical" technology ideas for their shows which will eventually be made available to the public?
If so, anything in particular?

If you watch Captain Kirk on Star Trek he flips is communicator open to talk to someone on the Enterprise now we have flip open phones(cell phones) and I remember reading somewhere that Star Trek was where the flip open phone idea came from.

Do you think that shows aired these days (I don't watch tv, so I don't know) are able to come up with "fanatical" technology ideas for their shows which will eventually be made available to the public?
IMHO nothing on the shows of today will be invented in the future however I don't watch shows like CSI and such.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's funny to watch movies like Back to the Future 2 and see what they thought the future would hold. The future in that movie is August 2013 I believe. We are pretty close and we're definitely not going to be living in a society of flying cars. :lol:

They also didn't imagine cell phones for that future. Instead people wore huge headsets that they could use as mobile phones. There is not much about that future that came true actually. Except maybe big screen projectors in people's homes. But the ones we have nowadays are way better quality than the junk shown in that movie. In that movie they had full screen projectors.. :shake:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I've always just figured that Future-Tech in movies just gives people something to shoot for.

I mean like the thread I posted earlier... Invisibility Cloaks... who in their right mind would even try to invent something like that if it werent for Fairy Tale stories or FarFetched movie-Tech? But still... they are developing it.

The future in the movie "Minority Report" seemed pretty accurate to me. I remember doing a lot of research on Light technology and Holographic Storage when I was in my CIT class a couple semesters back. The movie Minority Report was really heavy on Holographic Technology