If your dog or cat kills a rabbit/bird/etc

If your dog or cat killed a wild animal would you let them eat it?

• Total voters

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
If your dog or cat (or any pet) killed a rabbit or bird or whatever, do you let them eat it or do you take it away and throw it out?

I would probably let mine eat what they catch. My dogs are not the brightest when it comes to sneaking up on a squirrel or whatever and they have never caught anything in a chase. One of my dogs did kill some baby rabbits once and we took them and threw them out. I guess the idea at the time was that we felt it was a cheap kill considering they were all huddled in a nest in the ground. :-/

If my dogs killed something though then I would let them eat it. I doubt they ever will though. They have chain collars that make noise when they try to sneak up on things.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Well I have a hamster so I'd be pretty impressed if he killed a rabbit or bird. :lol:

If I had a dog and I saw him do that then I'd be pretty annoyed and would not let them eat it. I would want to teach them that it was wrong as it's not something I'd want to see.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
The cat has brought home a live mouse and bird before, we just tossed them back out; we can't punish him for doing it because he believes it's a gift for the family and he doesn't do it often anyway.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
But is it really wrong? It's their instinct to kill and eat animals.

Domesticated pets still have wild instincts. I wonder if you could successfully teach a dog or cat NOT to kill other animals though. House training them seems to be easier.

Of course they get free food without having to do any hunting for it so they definitely don't NEED to kill for their food. I just don't know how successful you could be in getting them to not do it if they were able to.

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
When our cats bring a dead bird or animal that they have caught into the house we usually just take it away from them and then throw it away, we don't let them eat it if we can help it. We dont make a big fuss over it and get angry at them because as Pugz said they believe that they are giving the family a gift etc. If they bring something that is alive into the house we usually just put it back outside where the cat won't be able to find it easily.

Last edited:

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
The cat has brought home a live mouse and bird before, we just tossed them back out; we can't punish him for doing it because he believes it's a gift for the family and he doesn't do it often anyway.
That's actually pretty awesome. It's cool because it shows that your cat is trying to do something nice for you. He/she is probably confused when you toss it out lol.

What, my gift isn't good enough for you!? :shocked:

:lol:

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I know, he's like 'You no like mouse? I bring bird!'

Now he's too fat an lazy to bring anything home :lol:

Nightsurfer

~Lucky 13 strikes again~
My tow cats Van and Clark have brought down all kinds of animals from Rabbits to birds, snakes and large field mice/rats. Most of the time we only find half eaten prey.

if they can bring them down then I say let them enjoy the spoils of their kill.

Blueyes

Registered Member
Well mine consider them play things once they kill them so I take them away and throw them out. And only 1 of the dogs is any good at it but she's become so fat now that I doubt she is quick enough to kill anything these days.

Duke1985

EatsApplePieShitsFreedom
I had some cats when I lived my folks out in the boons they killed stuff all the time and ate it. I always let them they never got sick.