If you were going to start...

Discussion in 'Hockey' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

If you were going to start a new Franchise and you have the luxury to pick any position player in the league who would that player be?

2. andrew_bishop

andrew_bishop #1 Spammer of FC

Well now here is a topic that I will have more than my share of posts in. My pick would be the best player in the NHL today in my opinion and that is Mats Sundin. I know a lot of people are going to be down on me for saying it but I am a huge leafs fan and the work this guy has put into the team is crazy. He is an excellent leader in the NHL and he is one of those guys that sticks to a team because if the team itself and not for money. He has alot of talent left and I think he is the best guy to build a young team around.

3. Babe_Ruth

Wow I am really surprised that you have chosen Mats Sundin, don't get me wrong, I think he's a star in this league, but he has been to incosistent this season, I believe he went to a strecth of twelve games without scoring. But I would have to agree with you that he's a great leader.

For myself, there's a lot of people that I would choose, I could go with Crosby, Ovechkin ect, but I would have to go with Lindstrom, he's the best two way player in the league. He's the best defensive player in the league, and he's a hell of an offensive player, especially on the power play, he would of been a captain a long time ago, but they had someone called Yzerman that was captain, but now he has his chance because Stevie Y retired. He's a great leader, and a great player.

4. andrew_bishop

Well I think we all have our idea of what a leader of a team is. I think we all must agree that a player that would be selected for a role much like this would have to combine not only skill but also the will to be a top man in this league and a physical factor to make sure nobody pushes him around. He needs to be able to step up when he is not playing that great and be able to admit that he is not playing that great and he then must do something about his play and then turn things around. Im sure if there are any guys in the NHL we could pick them. I don't think guys like Ovechkin or Crosby would be good for this role. Thats just my opinion but I beleive they really have not gone through what some of the older guys like Sakic , Lindstrom , Sundin etc have gone through and they have not accomplished as much as they have. I think yes they are stars but do not deserve a role like that.

Another factor that would go into the selection of a player for a role like this would be how the player hands himself. By that I mean he has to be able to admit he has done wrong and not blame others around him. He needs to be good to the city off the rink as well. Some of the NHLers that work with charities are among the top players in the game because they deserve to be. If your some snob who does everything for himself and never pays his dues to society do you really think you would deserve to be chosen for something like this?

Guys that we might take really for granted are players that could deserve this title as well. Guys who might not score 50 goals a year and who might play on the top line of the best team in the NHL. The players who work their butts off to get to where they are currently. Players that know what its like to go through the minors and through juniors and truly earn a spot. Not earn one because of a family name or because of your connections. Players like Sergi Federov. Guys that are no longer the talk of the league because they are on the best team but if you look at what he is doing this year it seems like he is taking a young team and twisting them into a team that will have success in the years to come.

Overall I still stick to my guns and say Sundin and you can think all of what you want for my choice but really he fits into a good catergory for me and I think he is an elite player. Sure he is getting up there in age and might not be around much longer but he has not left the Leafs to pursue a cup has he? He wants to finish what he started and thats the type of player I think we can all look up to and respect.

5. Adama0905

Adama0905 Guest

Alexander Ovechkin. He may not be the leader in points as Crosby is, but he has shown that he has way more, while still producing the goals and being an offensive dynamo. He plays an up tempo game, he hits like most forwards can't (at least forwards that produce that much pointage), and just produces energy and keeps his team in every game. He's a franchise player, great to build a team around.

I would choose Joe Sakic, but he's getting on in years. But Joe is a guy that can be counted on every shift, every game, every season, to do something amazing. He's on pace for a 90+ points season, and he's 37. He can play defense like most offenseman cannot do, he can penalty kill, he's great on the powerplay, he's great 5 on 5, and he's one of the greatest captains of our time.

6. Babe_Ruth

I would of picked Alexander Ovechkin if an amazing Defencemen wasn't the most important thing to have on your team to win the Stanley Cup. If you have one of the best defencemen in the league on your team your almost guaranteed to win the Stanley Cup. So you draft that defencemen and you build around him. I beleive it's harder to find a top notch defencemen who can defend like no other then it is to find a guy who can score you 40 goals a season.

7. andrew_bishop

Well I would look to the offence before anything and the leadership factor that a player brings to the game before the defencive factor because it is nothing to be able and stop a team from scoring all game but then not be able to get a goal and lose in a shootout because you have such good defencemen. And I don't think it would be fair to say that if you have a top defencemen in the NHL you are almost guarenteed to win the cup. I mean the last two cups champs never had that top defencemen I mean sure they had good ones but not one of the top 5 in the NHL.

8. Babe_Ruth

Yea but Niklas Lindstrom is the player I would start a franchise with. It doesn't mean my team won't have any scoring power. People like Lindstrom only come once every 10 years, and to build a team around him would lead my team to the Stanley Cup =)

9. andrew_bishop

Well I agree building a team around a guy like him is a good move but again I would really start with the offence first. But again we all have our own opinions and I think as long as we have some strong back up for our selection there really is not a bad answer. But one thing is for sure we almost need a guy who has experience and talent on and off the ice with the team and outside the team for example with local charities . This would build a fan base and have fans for the team even when they slump or when they are at their high point.