If you were born 100 years earlier?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mirage, May 4, 2007.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

If you were born 100 years earlier what would you do for a living, hobbies, etc?

Keep in mind that for the most part that would mean most of us here were born in the 1880's and 1890's. No cars, no computers, no technology really as we know it at all.

The lightbulb was literally just being invented.

As for me, I think I would be a blacksmith. I like making things and I think that is one of the few things that I would enjoy. I'm not even sure of all the jobs that one could have back then. Being a scientist would also be very interesting and maybe helping create things such as the lightbulb and other things that have evolved into very important technologies for life today.

As for hobbies I don't really know. I would probably go hiking and exploring a lot and play games like chess and card games.

(The Joker was first added to the playing card deck in 1870 in fact. Bicycle playing cards first appeared in 1887. Random tidbits of knowledge there.)

So, what would you do if you were born 100 years earlier?

2. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Writer first, artist second.

3. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I was gonna say blacksmith too. I've thought about doing that in my present life. As for my hobbies, I don't think they'd be any different than they are now. Hiking, drinking, sports, games. And weed was legal back then. Exploring the west would be awesome. There was hardly anyone out there yet.

4. Ghost

Ghost Registered Member

A US Federal Marshall and ride my horse across the southwest, loaded with my pearl handled Colts and bringing in the 'bad guys'.

But... I rather prefer the electronic teat, my toilet and the convenience of the grocery store. I'd do horribly back then.

5. RarePD

RarePD Registered Member

An American novelist
    Short story writer.
    Polish Historian
    WWI fighter pilot. Haha, or Major League Baseball player.

6. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

If I was born 100 years earlier, I would like to be a train conductor. As for hobbies, I would invent cell phones and computers. :D I really wouldn't know what to do for a hobby. I think I would probably do art as a hobby.

7. Teorropy

Teorropy Registered User

If I were born 100 years earlier, I would be a construction worker. If I ended up the way I am too, I wouldn't make it back then. So I guess it is good I wasn't.

8. Psyco

Psyco Food Whore

I'd INVENT the computer! Not really...

I'd probably have become an engineer anyways, possibly trying to build one of Charles Babbage's "Adding Machines" (an early form of computer)

9. JjCrazyboy

JjCrazyboy Registered Member

I would be the ultimate investor. Buying things i knew that would work. Like in back to the future.

10. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

If you applied my family's socio-economic status to that time period, and thought about the careers available, I would have either been a writer, some sort of engineer or factory worker's apprentice, or in a government job somewhere along the line.