If you use ebay...

Discussion in 'Shopping' started by ysabel, Sep 1, 2008.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Do you always win the stuff you bid for? Any strategy aside from just having the most money to pay, lol?

Ever tried external sites like auctionstealer? I have an old account there but it seems ebay is already able to do what auction stealer could (last second steals), by asking us the highest amount we can go for. :hmm:

2. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

If I really want the item I stalk the the item at the very last minutes and then throw in some votes about an hour before hand to see how serious the current bidder is, then stalk it to grab it. Otherwise, I'll go find something else but normally I look for the ones that sell more than 1 item so I don't have to go into a bidding war.

ysabel likes this.
  3. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

Hi Ya.

I 'm a sniper. I save all the auctions that I am interested in and bid on them in the last 5 seconds. This doesn't always work but I would say it works 95% of the time.

Another cool trick to try is.. Try looking the items up misspelled in different ways, you would be amazed at how many auctions are misspelled and the seller doesn't even notice that they spelled it wrong in the listing.

You can get some killer deals like this. I wouldn't waste your time or money on automatic auction bid programs.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  4. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I don't shop on ebay a lot but when I do I always get the best price be it an auction or buy it now.

I'll snipe all the time.

5. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I never thought about that. I'll check it out next time. I tried to bid on an item yesterday...but someone was more aggressive than me. LOL

6. AeonFlux

AeonFlux I am the edge!

I use the same tactics. You can find some really awesome deals with the misspelled title trick.

I've never used any outside bidding programs because I have pretty good luck getting what I want on my own.

7. ComicFitz

ComicFitz Registered Member

So true Night, I do the same thing
    Also, "Pick Up Only", search within 5 mile of your area and for pick up only if you are looking for something big. People usually don't ship stuff like a coach, big screen TV or refrigerators. I saw an auction for a 60" screen TV (not flat) and an entertainment center for a $100 "pick up only", no one bid on it
    And there are a lot of dyslexic people out their, so if you want a HD TV, try looking up DH VT:lol:

8. Schala

Schala Registered Member

I only use an auction sniper if I know a lot of people are bidding on the item. A lot of people wait until the end to bid anyway though.

I actually won a Wii on eBay last Christmas season. @_@ And I won it for only $300. It took A LOT of tries, but I eventually got it. And it helped to wait until the last few seconds to bid. I did it myself too, not using a sniping tool. I might have just been lucky though. Lol.

I think if you bid days before the auction ends though, it draws attention and other people try to outbid you, and it encourages a "bidding war". So that's why, if I see something I like, I put it on my watch list and wait until the last few minutes to bid.

9. Captain_travel

Captain_travel Registered Member

I dont always win, but I usually search for a better deal, and I get one lol

10. Eilt_Druin

Eilt_Druin Registered Member

I use the same tactics as Nightsurfer, too. Sniping is really the only way to get something that's up for auction and be sure about it. I've found a lot of deals under odd names from people that have no idea as to what they had.