• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss If you knew you were going to die?

whiteraven

Registered Member
If you knew you were going to die, would you be scared?

Most people are scared to die. I think if you knew where you were going afterwards you wouldn't be so scared. Being that we all know we are going to die soon any ways. Wouldn't being scared to die be wiped out of your thoughts?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
An attorney I know died recently. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in March and he passed away just a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know him real well but I did have a good friendly working relationship with him. He was about 44 and left behind his wife and a couple of kids. The priest at his parish went to high school with me and we talked about when he went in to see his priest right after the diagnosis. He told me the first question he asked was "Are you scared?" and his response was "No". He then asked "Are you mad at God?" which he said he explained is a normal reaction. He stated the attorney sat there for a second and tears welled up in his eyes and he said "No, Father, I'm not mad at God".

I would hope I would have that same reaction. I would hope if I received that same diagnosis I would not be mad at God, and I don't think I would be, and I would hope I wouldn't be scared.

Zenheizer

needs practice
If I knew I was terminal, I would probably get into the illegal substance business so I can provide my family with a large lump sum of cash to support themselves when I'm gone. I'd probably then turn into a sociopath who turns away everyone close to him just to make gobs and gobs of money.

Ahem...wait a minute

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not the least bit worried about dieing after some of the experiences I've had in my life. I don't feel like death is the end after seeing a ghost, more of a new beginning.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I'm not the least bit worried about dieing after some of the experiences I've had in my life. I don't feel like death is the end after seeing a ghost, more of a new beginning.
So do you think we all become ghosts or are ghosts only souls that have some unresolved issue? Or do you think the existence of ghosts means there is an afterlife for everyone, whatever it might be?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
So do you think we all become ghosts or are ghosts only souls that have some unresolved issue? Or do you think the existence of ghosts means there is an afterlife for everyone, whatever it might be?
I think there is a afterlife for everyone including animals. I think when you die you become a spirit and some spirits stay because of unresolved issues in life or afraid of moving on. I'm not sure about the light but my cat ran down the hallway and I never saw her again. Maybe she went through the light.

I'm wondering if death is just another existence or what. After that I went to old cemeteries that were close to old homesteads trying to get a picture of a ghost but never did.

I saw something else once but I'm not sure what that was, really scared me.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
An attorney I know died recently. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in March and he passed away just a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know him real well but I did have a good friendly working relationship with him. He was about 44 and left behind his wife and a couple of kids. The priest at his parish went to high school with me and we talked about when he went in to see his priest right after the diagnosis. He told me the first question he asked was "Are you scared?" and his response was "No". He then asked "Are you mad at God?" which he said he explained is a normal reaction. He stated the attorney sat there for a second and tears welled up in his eyes and he said "No, Father, I'm not mad at God".

I would hope I would have that same reaction. I would hope if I received that same diagnosis I would not be mad at God, and I don't think I would be, and I would hope I wouldn't be scared.
I think I'd have the same reaction as your friend. Its impossible to say, but I really think I would. There's a lot of things I'd be sad to miss like my kids graduating and getting married. I'd also be very scared that my family would be able to make it financially and that would probably be my biggest fear.

Not sure if anyone will relate but there are many times when I am reading and get excited about meeting the person I'm reading about. Knowing that one day I will sit down with Calvin Coolidge for example and ask him about his life and days as President thrills me. Not just from history but also friends and family that have passed. That's exciting to think about.

Finally, and I am not kidding about this, if I do die unexpectedly please do not post condolences on my fb or send my family anything. That would be very confusing and I've been here 6 years, I'm sure I've said stupid things I'd hate my family to read after I'm gone. :)

Bliss

Sally Twit
What scares me is never being able to feel the way I feel when I see my loved ones. And if I was going to leave my boyfriend behind it'd terrify me. I know it's not always possible, but I have dreamed of growing old with him for as long as I can remember. I am not scared of the actual dying (unless it is going to be incredibly painful), but I'm scared of leaving my loved ones.

I do believe there will be another chapter after all of this is over, but I don't know if it will be like in the Movies. I'm scared to think of any other option.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Honestly? No.

The reason I say this (and this may sound melodramatic or selfish for which I make no apologies) is a few months ago I went into hospital as some people on here know for heart surgery. A few weeks before hand I had decided that if something was to go wrong I did not want to be resuscitated. I told my mother, my doctor and friend on GF of this decision and in the end I decided to withdraw this. The reason for me saying this in the first place is that in a way I felt like if I did die in the hospital it was not something I could control and therefore did not worry about and in a way it was almost a way of the world saying "come in number .... your time is up" and I would not have to worry about life or anything going on around me.

I am not sure how much I believe in God or an afterlife but the idea of passing away is confirming that no matter what is going on bad things will only happen for so long, again it may sound selfish but for me it was almost a relief.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
It would only be natural to fear death. I would face my death bravely while still being terrified inside. I'd be afraid of the unknown... afraid of not knowing what life will be like after I'm gone. I hate knowing that there's going to be sooo much stuff that I'm going to miss once I die.