If you had a friend...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
If you had a friend, and someone else took a dislike to this friend for any number of irrational reasons, therefore they went to you with negative comments towards you just for being the other persons friend, then what would you make of this person with the irrational comments?
Would you say the person had some kind of psychological disorder? Would you just brush it off and not think anything of it? Would you think that person just needed to get a life of his or her own?

If you had a friend, and someone else took a dislike to this friend for any number of irrational reasons, therefore they went to you with negative comments towards you just for being the other persons friend, then what would you make of this person with the irrational comments?
Would you say the person had some kind of psychological disorder? Would you just brush it off and not think anything of it? Would you think that person just needed to get a life of his or her own?
I wouldn't put them down as having a psychological disorder just because of that. I'd say they had some issues though. I probably brush it off, thinking they maybe have self-esteem/jealousy problems. Nothing too major, it happens rather a lot if someone feels you are being 'taken away' from them.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
I wouldn't put them down as having a psychological disorder just because of that. I'd say they had some issues though. I probably brush it off, thinking they maybe have self-esteem/jealousy problems. Nothing too major, it happens rather a lot if someone feels you are being 'taken away' from them.

Low-self-esteem is a pyschological disorder, it's a 'thinking' disorder.

dafty807

Registered Member
but they just dont like someone . . everyone has someone thay maybe dont like. . . they maybe just like to express their feelings alot. . .i wud just be like get over ursel min!!!!

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
but they just dont like someone . . everyone has someone thay maybe dont like. . . they maybe just like to express their feelings alot. . .i wud just be like get over ursel min!!!!

Are you from Aberdeen?

I'm not really sure who you're supporting... the person complaining, the person being complaied to, or the person they are complaining about?

Low-self-esteem is a pyschological disorder, it's a 'thinking' disorder.
Damn you and your making me think too much today :lol:
I was thinking its not a disorder, its more of a symptom. But yeah I do see what you mean.
Ok then if you're classing low self-esteem as a proper psychological disorder then yep I'll go with that.
But don't the vast majority of us suffer from L S-E every so often? I know I do soometimes. But if somebody asked me directly 'do you have a psychological disorder?' I wouldn't think for a second to answer 'yes' solely on the basis of feeling a bit insecure sometimes.

But, again, I do see what you're saying.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
But don't the vast majority of us suffer from L S-E every so often? I know I do soometimes.

I don't know, but I do know that most of us do at one point or another in our lives have a mental disorder, which can ease away, but it the obsessiveness of the disorder than can be a worry, i.e 'long lasting effects' that lead to other effects, like the branch of a tree that turns into other branches.

I've heard of people saying that one has to watch-out when they have friends like 'such and such,' but I've never in my life come across anything as stupid as being put-down for association with an other person. You could be friends with a serial killer [not knowing he or she is a serial killer] but it doesn't make you a killer or anything of the sort. You can be friends with a thief, but it doesn't make you a thief.
I won't be too specific, but someone got negged for being on my friend-list which I thought was odd to say the least, and the same person has got some weird beef with me, over 'what,' I just don't know. I got to thinking what kind of a person does this? Why do they do it? I never at first, but I do now feel sorry for that person, but my feelings are neither here nor there... I just like to understand how and why something would tic in someones brain so much that they would go out of their way to 'enlist' more haters, and put down those that don't.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I have several friends who are not generally liked (and they don't give a damn) so I'm used to having to listen to people complain about them. If they're being irrational with their reasons, then I just think they're being irrational. A lot of people are irrational from time to time. I'm not quick to make judgements about their whole life or mental history just because of this one symptom.

PS. Technically, low-self esteem in itself is not a mental disorder. But it can be symptom of having one.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
low self esteem is not a psychological disorder.

I guess I would think that person is an asshole. (also not a psychological disorder)
Here is one of many links that show low-self-esteem to be a psychological disorder.

psychological
adjective
1 relating to the human mind and feelings:
psychological problems
He claims that the constant aircraft noise has a bad psychological effect on the residents.
We are concerned with the physical and psychological well-being of our employees.

2 (of an illness or other physical problem) caused by anxiety or sadness:
I suspect his headaches are purely psychological.

3 [before noun] describes a film or book in which there is a lot of attention given to the way people influence each other's behaviour:
a psychological thriller

(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)
It is a disorder. It might be very low, so low their would be no point in calling it a disorder, but when it comes to the crunch, that is what it is.
You can have moderate to severe low-self-esteem, and by then, you really do have to call it a disorder.

It's worth noting that I am not saying that the person in question does have low-self-esteem, but he or she could do with a sandwich just so they have a real picnic.

Status
Not open for further replies.