If you had a chance to save somebody's life

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mirage, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

So if you had a chance to save somebody's life, only there was a 75% chance that you would die in the process would you do it?

How about a 50% chance that you would die while saving them?

25% chance?

Let's say for simplicity that in each of the above scenarios the person is guaranteed to be saved. It's only you that has a chance of not making it.

Where would you draw your line between personal safety and saving the life of somebody else? Let's say a total stranger? You can also answer the question as if it were a friend or family member as well if you want.

I'd do it. I think if I had a plain as day chance to save somebody's life it would be worth trying.

2. orangelightning

orangelightning Registered Member

Except for a few people that I would definitely not take a bullet for, I would save a stranger every time. It would actually be easier if I knew nothing at all about them (didn't even see them do/say anything at all). I assume people are generally good. I'd be bummed though if I found out later that the person I saved was a jerk.

I don't know how I could live with myself after if I didn't try.

3. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I'd do it as well. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to live with myself after it.

Well, actually I don't really know if I would do it or not. Who knows what a person would do in that actual situation?

4. Mason

Mason phawq

If the 1 person means a lot to me or a friend of mine, yes. If not, no. I'd rather risk my life if it were 2 or more people, since its at least 2 lives spared for the price of 1.

If my live weren't at risk, then I'd do it regardless of who it was, and how many it was.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  5. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I knew my answer before you even mentioned the whole chance part. If it was someone I loved, there would be no questions. I'd do anything I could to save them even if it cost me my life.

6. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

It depends on who it was. My daughter? no question.

7. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

From about 50% onwards, I definitely would. Mind you, not being a stistician myself, I wouldn't know it was a 50% chance, so I guess I'd be screwed.

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well the statistics were more meant to make the hypothetical part of the question more easy to think through.

Obviously in real life you have 100% uncertainty rate.

9. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

No I wouldnt. If it was someone I cared about maybe.

If it was an ideal I cared about yes.

However that is what my head says. I am sure when I am in the situation I would probably do it anyways...that seems like the type of action I would take. More often than not I seem to do unwarranted kind actions to complete strangers even though I know it is dumb.

10. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

It depends. If it was someone I really cared about then yes. If it is just a random hobo then probably not. But it really all just depends on the situation. I've never been in a situation like the one mentioned so it's hard for me to say yes or no.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008