If you had $62 billion dollars

Discussion in 'Money & Investing' started by Mirage, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Recently Warren Buffett was named the richest person in the world with a total worth of $62 billion.

If you were Warren Buffett, would you retire once and for all? He's pretty old and it seems to me it might be worth relaxing for the rest of your life once you hit the title of "Richest person in the world".

Instead he is still plugging away. In fact his yearly salary is only $100,000 not including capital gains from positive investing. :)

Buffett, deputy at Berkshire kept '07 salaries at $100,000 - USATODAY.com

2. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I'd split two billion between four separate offshore banks in various places in the world, keep several million of that money in one or two American banks for spending and bill paying money, keep another two billion for my investments in one single account, and then put the rest in a final account so I can, literally, hand the remaining 57 or 58 billion to anyone who I feel is deserving.

3. Mirage

Keep in mind that it's not $62 billion in cash. It's mostly tied up in company ownerships like Pepsi, KFC, to name two...

They own a ton of companies, or at least percentages of a lot of companies.

4. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I'd still want $62 billion in cash.

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I'd give $61.9 billion to charity.

6. Mirage

He actually did pledge to contribute $30.7 billion to the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation two years ago.

USATODAY.com - Warren Buffett signs over $30.7B to Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation

Now that's a serious donation! That's why I respect Warren Buffet though. Interestingly enough he was worth $44 billion when he committed to give a HUGE chunk of it away. Now since doing that his stocks have continued to go up to over $60 billion in just two years. You can't argue with his investment strategies if he raises the value of his companies approximately $20 billion in two years.

7. Corona

Corona Registered Member

I'd pay for my college. Then I'd find something I like to do, and do it.

8. Mirage

Well the question in the OP was more asking if you WERE Warren Buffett.. which means you'd already have done college, etc and you'd be old by now.

9. Corona

Corona Registered Member

I'd keep working.

What's the point in life once you retire? It's like you're standing still, you have no forward momentum, you accomplish nothing.

10. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I seriously doubt that a company wouldn't hire you if you were smart enough to make $62 B you could start your own company doing what you'd like.
    ------
    you can finally sit back, relax, have some good family time, know that your finances are in order and just enjoy life.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2008