If you cross the border illegally...

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by pro2A, May 3, 2010.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

If you cross the North Korean border illegally you get 12 years hard labor.

If you cross the Iranian border illegally, you are detained indefinitely.

If you cross the Afghan border illegally, you get shot.

If you cross the Saudi Arabian border illegally, you will be jailed.

If you cross the Chinese border illegally, you may never be heard from again.

If you cross the Venezuelan border illegally, you will be branded a spy and
    your fate will be sealed.

If you cross the Cuban border illegally, you will be thrown into political prison to rot.

If you cross the border into Mexico illegally you will be jailed.

If you cross the border into Canada illegally you will jailed and deported.

If you cross the U.S. Border illegally you get a job, a drivers license, social security card, welfare, food stamps, credit cards, subsidized rent or a loan to buy a house, free education, free health care, a lobbyist in Washington, a right to vote, billions of dollars of public documents printed in your language and the right to carry your country's flag while you protest you don't get enough respect... :rolleyes:

Did I get that right?

Dragon likes this.

2. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

Not really as most often than not you get deported. I see it every day.

I got this email just the other day. I've never understood the comparison's to what other countries do in situations like these. We like to think of ourselves as better, this bastion of freedom, then compare ourselves to countries that are the exact opposite with the slant that WE'RE doing something wrong.

Unity likes this.
  3. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Kind of shows what a compassionate place the USA is; places humanity before nationality and freedoms before borders.

CaptainObvious likes this.
  4. CaptainObvious

This sums up well what I meant. Thing is many pass this email around implying that we should be doing the same thing as Mexico, Iran, North Korea, etc...:stare:

5. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

Yeah, my first thought was that (with the exception of Canada) these aren't exactly countries we want to aspire to be. I do agree that our country is way too supportive of people who come here illegally, but most of those other countries are on the other extreme, which is worse. Just deport them. There's no reason to let them stay here, and there's no reason to shoot them either.

6. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Don't confuse me with someone who is against immigration. Hell, we are all immigrants. My problem is someone sneaking over the fence at 2am then killing someone in a car accident and then bitching he doesn't have any rights.

Legal immigration ≠ illegal immigration.

7. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

So I guess this is my real 500th post :lol:

I think that while we shouldn't be anti-immigration, ILLEGAL is the operative word. It is useful to compare ourselves to others, but we are the shining city and I hope that others still see us as the land of opportunity. The process to get here legally is probably totally screwed up, but show your grit and do it the right way!

pro2A and Unity like this.
  8. Unity

Unity I drink & I know things. Staff Member

Congratulations, buddy!

I can totally respect that "show your grit and do it the right way" point of view, but if I had little ones and they were in need I don't know what I'd do. It's hard for me to see it through their life view since coming up in Mexico is a different experience than what I've had.

pro2A and SmilinSilhouette like this.
  9. CaptainObvious

I don't think anyone is confusing you with someone who is against immigration. I think we can all agree that even if someone kills another in a car accident they get basic human rights, ie fair trial, representation, right to be free from police brutality, etc...

The problem I have is with the email. It suggests that we in the US do it wrong and countries like Mexico, Iran, etc...do it correctly, that WE wouldn't have the same rights if WE entered their country illegally. That's actually something I'm proud of instead of something I think we're doing wrong.

EDIT: I should add I always find it curious when those on the right (not talking about you Pro I'm talking about the talking heads) point to an illegal who drives while intoxicated and kills someone (as if legal residents here don't do that) yet don't bitch when they pay $2 for a bag of apples instead of $20, pay lower hotel rates (because the hotel maids are illegals) and save on taxes when new schools are built (because of the cheap labor).

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Simply down to what they cant see does not affect them. People forget about the processes that goes into all walks of life.